I haven't posted to my blog in a few days because I've wanted to discuss my eating disorder and have been nervous about doing that. You know that I consider obese people my comrades in the fight to a healthy body, but I'm not sure everyone agrees, nor has understanding, nor sympathy for, anorexia nervosa. People--even laypeople--have the belief that it's only a matter of being thin, and that if we'd eat more, we'd be fine. That's the parallel to the obese. If only they'd just eat less, they could be okay.
Well it isn't that easy. Telling me to eat more is like telling you to eat less. If that were all there were to it, we'd all be of average weight.
People also have this belief that obesity is the opposite of anorexia. No it isn't. The opposite of obesity, and the opposite of anorexia, is normal.
Now, there is a good point in telling us to eat more or less. Yes, that will cure the problem. Moreover, that's a simple fact, and many people can do it. It's like quitting smoking--just don't put a cigarette in your mouth. I know that worked for me. I got it into my head that smoking was off the table, no matter what.
I think that attitude is needed in the fight against eating disorders. There are two big differences, however. Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug, and food is not a drug. And you never have to smoke again, but you do have to eat every single day for the rest of your life. If I had to smoke, I'd be a chain smoker again. I'm a puff away from a pack a day.
Anyway, to get back on topic. I don't want to turn anyone off when I write about anorexia, bulimia, compulsive eating disorder, binge eating disorder, or eating disorder not otherwise specified. As I've said time and time again: we're in this boat together. They're all EDs. We can die of them.
Another difference between us, and I think the most important one, is that you're working hard to lose weight and get to a healthy body. I don't want recovery. My disorder is still in a place where I don't want to get well. The thought of gaining weight terrifies me, which is one of the primary symptoms of AN. It's not just a matter of not wanting to gain. It's a matter of terror. When I gain a pound, or go over 1000 - 1100 calories a day (my maintenance number), I get scared, and practically hate myself. I lived on less than 800 calories--often 500--a day for months. Currently, I struggle mightily to remain at 900. I'm just so very hungry all the time, that it gets exhausting fighting the desire to eat. My doctor says that my body is desperate for food and it's simply biological. I say it's that my will and ability to control myself is weakening.
As you probably know, control is the issue in an anorexic's life. Subconsciously, or consciously, we feel that our lives are out of our control, that we have no say in the way our lives are lived. The only thing we can control is our bodies, and our desire to eat. That's how we manage the desperation of feeling that we're not allowed to make decisions for ourselves.
I went on a weight reduction diet since I was overweight, and it progressed from there. I'd had an anorexic episode in the past, so I should have dieted under a doctor's care. But I didn't want to do that. I thought I'd stop at 120. Instead, I got down to 92, which gave me a BMI of 15.8. My doctor has had me coming in monthly for a weigh-in to check on me. I hate it. Now I'm up to 98, and he still wants me to gain and get up to at least 108. That's just not going to happen if I have any say in the matter. In fact, I want very much to get back to 92 again, and I can do it if I'm committed to it.
You can see that it's not just a matter of not wanting to be overweight again. Apparently, I look bad, weak, and sick. My hair has gotten thin; my nails break off; my skin is dried out and flakes off; my potassium levels are abnormal (an important electrolyte for heart function), I'm anemic, etc. But I don't care. Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels is the mantra of an anorexic. I feel sick sometimes, though, and it doesn't feel good.
So that's my story. I hope this doesn't turn anyone away. I hope so much that no one out there thinks they'd like it if they were this thin. One of my friends felt that way. She wanted to "catch" anorexia, lose 30 lbs., then "give up" the disease once she was normal weight. It doesn't work that way. It's a mental illness and you can't decide to have it. If you're a normal person, you don't want it.
Some day, I might want recovery. I might get healthy enough that I'll want to do that.
Let me know what you think. Do you understand me? Or have I turned you off forever?
Dear Food Freak, I can certainly understand this. You have NOT turned me off forever as I can relate only too well. I am not anorexic but I didn't become super morbidly obese without having serious food issues. Now that I am at a normal weight, I understand the feeling that even that is not good enough and I want to be thinner than this and I want to do everything I can to see to it that I NEVER become overweight or obese again. It is very common for one ED to evolve into another, especially after rapid weight loss with weight loss surgery.Thankfully, I'm in a reasonable place with my weight and I can lose a few more pounds safely but I do realize I am walking a fine line, especially as I'm going against my surgeon's advice by setting my goal lower than he would like. However, my new goal is still in the middle of a normal BMI for me and I don't think that means I have a problem yet. I'm glad you are around and paying attention. If I go too far, I know you will be here to call me out.
ReplyDeleteIf there is ever anything I can do for you in the way of support, I hope you will immediately let me know. Hugs.
You have definitely not turned me off. A few years ago I would have probably been in the shoes of your friend - hoping to "catch" an ED so that I could become "normal." The more I've learned and through others I've met online, I realize that there is so much pain at both ends of the spectrum.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you continue to find your way to recovery...I know that this is a mental game, for both of us.
Hi my name is Christina and I'm from the Never the Skinny Girl blog. You commented on one of my posts about being bulimic. I can definitely understand where you are coming from and hearing you be open and honest about your eating disorder doesn't turn me off from reading your blog. I've actually been reading your blog quite often waiting to see what you post next. I guess I'm not in a place of recovery either because the first thing that popped into my head was I wished I had your eating disorder instead of mine, at least then I would be skinny. You are right when you said this is a mental illness because it is. I just got home from my counselor and we were talking about the body dysmorphic disorder I have and ways for me to overcome and the conclusion is sheer willpower. I've been binge and purge free for 2 days but the urge is so strong. It's definitely not an illness I would wish on anyone. I hope you can find your way to recovery or at least a middle ground so you can be healthy and if you ever need to talk I'm always here. Best of luck.
ReplyDeletehttp://nevertheskinnygirl.blogpost.com
Karen, you did mention that your surgeon didn't want you to be at a lower weight, but I don't think you're doing anything dangerous (yet). You're staying within the normal BMI values, and have your eyes open. Yes, I'll catch you if you start to fall. I don't want your ED to go the other way. You're right--if we didn't have disturbed relationships with food to begin with, we wouldn't end up obese, binging, self-starving, whatever.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your offer of support.
Amanda, thanks so much for posting. I can truly understand why my friend felt that way. She dieted all her life. She lost 30, 40, 60 or more pounds god only knows how many times, and always gained it back. Her struggles made what I was doing look easy. If only she knew . . .
ReplyDeleteThanks for sticking around. I truly appreciate it.
Oh, Christina, bulimia is such a painful disease, and potentially so deadly that my heart goes out to you. I'm proud of you that you've gone two days without a binge or purge. That's major! I hope it continues. You can do it, I'm sure of it. Is your counslor good? I think mine isn't. His mother hadwas a bulimic and I think it messed with his head about EDs.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading my blog! Yes, I read yours. You're fearless, and serve as a good example to me. So is Karen.
I'm so sorry for your BDD. It causes a lot of pain, too. I hope that working with your counselor can bring you to some sort of peace with that. It's a scary thing to deal with.
Thank you for your offer to talk. Same to you, okay?