Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Another book on tap.

I thought I'd try to read a book on low-carb dieting called Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health, by Gary Taubes. He's a journalist, not a researcher, and the book wasn't recommended by a scientist, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm not big on this idea; then again, I haven't read too much about it.

It's not that I don't think there are bad calories. I believe that if you're on a weight loss diet, you can't eat a sundae and that's your 1200 calories for a day. Why not? Put nutrition aside, and think only of insulin. A jolt of sugar like that causes an immediate flow of insulin to be released in your body. There will be more insulin produced than is needed to process the sugar, which leaves some "left over," so to speak. Since insulin increases appetite, you'll be hungry for a long, long, time after eating that sundae.

Moreover, people like us, who tend to binge, are eating the worst thing we can eat to keep stable. Sundaes have gotten us fat, not skin-free chicken breasts with a side of broccoli. Sweets are a huge trigger for most of us, especially sweets which are high fat. Not only does it set the body off on a hunger rampage, it sets our minds off on an "I can eat anything" spree.

I'll see what he has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment