Because many people have been talking about it, and I've been thinking about it, I guess tonight I'll blog about choosing clothes for a new body--a new you. I have a very definite style, or should I say styles. Sometimes it's Bohemian, a gypsy-ish look, with lots of ethnic fabrics, long skirts, vests, jackets, all in a riot of colors. Other times it's Zen-like in its straight lines, black/silver/ivory/slate blue, etc., with Asian touches everywhere. Quite sleek and elegant. Yes, I like my styles, and am noted for them. You either like them or hate them. Many like them. Others have suggested I dress more normally, especially for work. So I thought I'd buy some preppy, yuppy-ish clothes for my new body.
I hadn't been clothes shopping in years, and had no clue what size I wore in fitted, tailored, clothes. I saw the perfect skirt at Land's End (pure preppy, like L.L. Bean) and ordered two in a 12--tan and navy (navy was my signature color when I was a business suit girl). When they arrived, and I tried to try them on, they slipped to the floor like a hula hoop. I returned them in exchange for 10's. My husband said, "Skip the 10's and 8's; go straight for the 6's and 4's." He's a pretty good judge of size. I wouldn't listen. To make a long story short, the 2's fit the best, but I have a big waist and they felt a little tight. I kept the 4's.
That long story was to show how one can have a measuring tape and mirrors, and still have no clue at all what size to wear, what one's body looks like, or what style to dress in. I also had to get used to clothes that fit. I kept up with the preppy look, but have recently returned to the ethnic thing. When I'm this thin, I'm always freezing, so the patterned, thigh-length Indian jackets come in handy.
Why are we so body dysmorphic? We see abnormality where none exists. We see fat when thin is reality. We feel fat when we've nothing to feel fat about. I know that we anorexics are famous for that. I'm not sure if formerly or even currently obese people are as poor judges as we are when it comes to their bodies. I suspect so. Certainly I know my obese friends believe they're far less attractive and sexy than they are. At my height, I'd have to weigh 175 to enter obesity based on the BMI. I feel like I weigh that now--honest. I have no idea at all that I weigh less than that. I will even check the scale by weighing my husband or a big sack of rice to make sure it isn't broken, that's how inaccurate I feel it must be. Do obese people do that? I've never asked. If you can leave a comment and tell me the answer plus anything else about the subject, I'd love that. I need knowledge, and other big people might need to know they're not alone.
One thing I do know is when I'm sure that the scale is working, the number on it defines my day. If I'm two pounds over the day before, I have a horrible day. If I'm a pound under, I fly in freedom. Food and the numbers are my life, and all I think about. Food, especially so. Whether it's cooking it, choosing it, buying it, eating it, not eating it, what it looks like--name it--it's ever-present in my head. This certainly isn't healthy. But from what I read, it defines the obese's day, too. Food, food, food. Eating, not eating, hungry, not hungry. As I've said before, we think about what we'll eat for supper before we've eaten breakfast. That, my friends, is an eating disorder.
Bingeing. A friend here had a binge. It was a small one, but her feeling of loss of control was frightening, guilt- and shame-producing, and depressing for her. I would have felt the same way, or I should say do feel the same way, because I've done it. Not big-time, however, just as hers wasn't. It's not eating so much or the calories ingested, it's the powerlessness and uncontrollable behavior that's horrible.
That's a special ED, binge eating disorder, and overweight or obese people often have it, frequently accompanied by compulsive overeating. I'm sure that if I had one cigarette tonight, or even a couple of puffs, I'd smoke a pack tomorrow. Same with food for the food-addicted, but with cookies, cheesecake, pizza with everything, chips or buffalo wings, etc. I've never heard of anyone who craved steamed cauliflower with no butter or cheese on it, or had a leafy green vegetable binge. A salad might be part of a flat-out siege, but never the whole thing.
What do we do with this craziness? The clothing? Dressing the bodies we have, instead of the ones we think we have? The food obsession/preoccupation?
I'll check this out in various places, including others' blogs about their personal experiences, and get back to these subjects soon.
Here's hoping that tomorrow you connect with nature in some way. I believe that nature, in her beauty, is healing. If you can't get out, throw open some windows and breathe deeply. Her sun, breezes, colors, moonlight, fragrance, rain, snow, forests, and everything else she offers are always there for you.
Hi, Food Freak. I am afraid I have no answers for you. I have some of the same issues. I'm not where near as small as you but I still see myself as larger than I am. When I'm dressed I can see the difference. When I'm undressed and looking in the mirror, I still see myself as over 300 pounds. My stomach looks just as big to me. I often wonder if my perception will ever change completely.
ReplyDeleteI see myself in the worst possible light.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed as to why this happens.
I know it's a phenomenon.
So I try to not get too upset over it.
But it suck when it's actually happening!
Well there's always a first. Meet Twix, she craves leafy green stuff and has been known to go on broccoli and cauliflower binges. That means she could eat several bags of the stuff if she'd let me. But she won't. So I only eat one bag for now. Did you know they decreased the small bag size to just 3 cups?! Boohoo! I let her, Twix, eat all the fricking lettuce she wants. Last summer she got lost in the mater (tomato) patch and came out with a laundry basket full. She ate and ate maters until she was sick. And I'll be honest I prefer them (most veggies) without cheese and haven't had them with butter. The only exception to that is mashed potatoes or any potatoes. And that I like either with cheese or butter and even plain jane. Recently I've discovered yogurt dressing and I feel like I'm getting away murder. Mwhahaha! I can make it even lower calorie using ff yogurt and almond milk mixed in. Makes a drizzle effect. Mmmmm....loves my veggies! sorry....I suppose I'm disgusted with veggies getting a bad wrap - I love 'em!
ReplyDeleteI am assumming you're talking about BDD - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder . I don't recognize myself when I look at pictures or in the mirror. I will admit I have been getting better with the last one. What I have in my head doesn't match. What I feel physically, as if you were to close your eyes and just feel your prescence, doesn't match what exactly is. And I hope I don't get slaughtered for this. When I'm out and about I've asked Emotional Retard (my legal husband) to pick someone out my size because I'm curious. I did a shameful thing the other day; I weighed my oldest daughter to see if an alternate scale was weighing right. Ane last weekend we spent moving the last of our stuff because the house sold (small yay!) and I found a picture of me back in the day. Holy cow! Why couldn't I have seen what they saw. I was gorgeous. At the time however I was on weight gaining adventure because it was forced and monitored. I had put on way to much, see even to this day I think that. The bigger clothes sizes freaked me out. Anyways I was sort of on vacation and not being monitored that well and had managed to drop 4lbs in two days before I allowed them to snap that shot. I remember hugging myself in that photo, hating my body, but smirking because I had got away with something. Why didn't I see what they saw? Why can't I see me now?
Back to binges I binge in my own vocabulary. But what I have seen as a binge in these parts, others' words as to what consists of a binge, I've never experienced that. I don't have a clue what it's like several fast food restaurants in a row and hit a convenience store to boot before you go buy a box of donuts and then scarf it all down. I personally know if I had or would be brave enough to try that I would throw up - if not from physical sickness but mentally I'd be distraught. I thought my out of control 20 chocolates and a donut was a binge.
Oh and I put on my old swimsuit. It fits in the bottom half but not in the bust. Clothes are frustrating!!!! ;-)
okay shoving off - I've jabbered on way to much
Twix, I don't mean to give vegetables a "bad rap," only that gorging on 600 calories can't rightly be called a binge, as you yourself even say. It would also be quite rare--it makes you special, right? LOL! However, the feeling of being out of control is possibly the most important part when it comes to having an eating disorder. It's a difficult call.
ReplyDeleteI see you've disbelieved your scale, too. I'll bet that's much commoner than either one of us thought.
I'm not talking about BDD specifically, but something like it. That's not to say that people with an ED can't have BDD, too, but I suspect we don't have the full-fledged disorder, just one of the symptoms. I don't know how much overlap there is. It probably lies on some continuum. It's always so difficult with these labels to figure out what's going on, don't you think?
Don't worry about "jabbering too much." What you say adds to the conversation, and gives the rest of us insight.
Anne H., I'm sorry you see yourself that way. It's just so painful to look in the mirror and see someone unattractive staring back at you, especially when your brain says it's an illusion. Your heart and gut don't believe that, though. They sabotage our efforts to make peace with our bodies.
ReplyDeleteDoes it help to know you're not alone?
See, Karen, you look slender to me. In your After photo on you blog, that's a slender woman. You don't have anorexia, so you weight in a normal range. People would indeed ask how you can see yourself as big when you. Even I might ask you that, and I know full well how you can think that way!
ReplyDeleteWe're precisely the same on it, because my gut is my downfall, too. And I didn't realize it until you said it that it's different when I'm in clothes than when I'm naked. Just like you, I look thinner than I used to be when clothed, but not when I'm nude. I'll try to find something on that in the research, but I haven't come across it so far.
I love your blog, btw. LOVE it!
Nah, didn't think you were giving them a bad rap. Just it's what I seem to be reading in lots of places. I get frustrated when I hear vegetables "oooo yuck". Lol!
ReplyDeleteSo binging would probably be something along the lines of feeling out of control. I've rarely experienced feeling totally nuts out of control in regards to eating. I guess it would be considered weird to say controlled binge eating. As in I'm going to eat this and I'm going to have x amount of this and that's it. Ya that sounds weird. But I do this. I have, also, used eating myself into an oblivion as a way to punsih myself, should read hurt myself. Just to physically make myself sick. To add fuel to the fire of hating myself. It's one thing I'm working on stopping. And trying to figure out why I'm compelled to do destructive things to myself. I didn't go to the gym early in the week last week because I made a pact with myself that I wouldn't drag self abuse into that arena. I need it to stay a positive place for me. I did go Wed. and if felt good and I went for the right reasons. So I left happy. As happy as I'm going to get at the moment.
I agree it is difficult with labels. And I hate them. :)