Hi, guys. I've been reading your blogs again, which is a lot of fun, except for when you have troubles. Otherwise, I enjoy reading your thoughts and your opinions--what things are meaningful in your lives--and especially how you view the world.
Got my two pints of blood on Wednesday. The appointment was for 1 p.m., so we arrived at 12:45 to try to be the first in line. It worked! It was sad, though, since non-emergency transfusions are given in the oncology building where they do chemo. Everyone else in there, as far as I could see, was a chemo patient of long standing. No hair; emaciated, etc. Oddly, there was only one woman. I heard two nurses discussing Taxol, so she was a breast cancer patient, and had to be post-menopausal. The man next to me had both his daughter and his son there to keep him company, and a third son showed up later, probably after work. The support of his children...He must be a much-loved father to them.
Anyway, each pint (two) took over two hours to drip. Then they made me wait a half hour to make sure I didn't have transfusion shock or whatever it's called. They're very, very careful, which I appreciated, but I thought I'd never get out of there. Chef drove me, and I asked him to just drop me off and come back later. He refused. Instead, he sat beside me, reading a book, the whole time. It felt good to have him there, but I felt guilty. He's been taking such good care of me--too much. I feel as though I ruined his summer with all of my medical appointments, but he said I'd do the same for him. That was optimistic! lol I read a book, too, and the time passed better than it might have otherwise. But we didn't get home until around 5:30. I did nothing, but was exhausted. The chair was so bad that it triggered my back pain. (I broke some vertebrae and herniated two disks in a diving accident in college. I also broke three vertebrae in my neck. As Chef always says, I should be happy I didn't die, which is true, or be paralyzed forever. (I was, for about 24 hours. It was terrifying.)
Chef went grocery shopping and bought me some liver, beef tenderloin, and pork tenderloin. We had liver and onions that night, then I had red meat cooked off to chip at for the rest of the week. You don't have to have expensive cuts of meat to improve anemia. Cheap cuts will do just as well, in strengthening my blood. But he knows I don't care much for meat except ground beef and a few other cuts of meat.
I've been reading medical thrillers one right after the other. I love them, and with my current distaste for everything medical, they satisfy my need to see the death and destruction of hospitals. I get all of them from Amazon, used. They come in cheap, sometimes as little as a penny plus shipping.
I really don't have much to say. Sorry. I'll see you again, with nothing to say then, either. LOL
If you like medical mysteries/thrillers, try Peter Duffy's novels. He's a doctor himself (and also the husband of my obstetrician for my first baby--who's now 18!).
ReplyDeleteTake care and glad you're back blogging.
Thank you!!! A new writer!! I most certainly will check him out. In fact, I have a window open to Amazon right now. I'll look for him.
ReplyDeleteI've been told by many mothers that it's almost like they turn around and five seconds later, their babies are adults. Is that what happened to you?
You are in my thoughts, FF. I'm glad the transfusions are over. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to wait at a place where there is so much illness. It would have depressed me to no end. Hang in there and keep blogging. I want to keep in touch with you and know how you are doing. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteIn answer to your question, yeah, that's pretty much it. My kids are still at a point where they need their parents, especially for guidance, though no longer for diapers. At 18 and 16, there's still a ways to go before they fly the nest, but yes, it seems like yesterday that I was changing diapers!
ReplyDeleteI look forward to hearing what you think of Duffy. I seem to recall reading one of his books, but I'm more into straight mystery, mostly British and Scandinavian. If you want reading suggestions in this category, I'd be happy to oblige!
KBO, you're such a sweetheart. Thank you for caring about me. Because you're so open and honest in your blog, I feel as though I know you. Obviously, that's not really true, but I do know some things about you, I guess.
ReplyDeleteHugs back to you, my friend.
NewMe, I can't find any fiction books by Peter Duffy on Amazon, not even old, used ones. There's another Peter Duffy, but I doubt he's the same one. I'll check it out again. Maybe the library will have some. Thanks again, Hope
ReplyDeleteThat doesn't sound like any fun. And back pain sucks!!!
ReplyDeleteHaven't read anything good of late. Watched some movies though, can't remember the names...hee hee. ;-)
Hey, Twix--there you are. Were the movies any good? If so, you'd better remember their names! lol I haven't been in much of a movie mood lately. I bought several HBO series on DVD when we were both working, and I've been up for them. Right now, it's "Dexter," which I think is a Showtime series. I want to watch "The Wire" again.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sympathy about the back pain. Sounds like you've had some first-hand experience.
I'm glad you stopped at my blog and took the time to comment. You always say such nice things, and I am glad that you find something useful to help you along your way. My husband has had two shots in his back for pain - not fun. Your husband sounds like a pretty neat guy. I hope that your renewed activity in the blogging world means that things are getting better for you. Have a sweet sleep my friend and may your dreams come true.
ReplyDelete