Sometimes I love this climate. It's a little overcast (for here; for back east, it's sunny), but there have been gentle to moderate winds all day, and it's cool--maybe 75 or so. Beautiful. I've been sitting at this computer all day due to my GI upset. I didn't even bake bread, and was so looking forward to it all week. Maybe I can do it on a weekday if I plan it just right.
Remember how upset I was last week that I'd gained from 95.1 to 95.9? This week, I was 94.5. What a relief! Now, I'm not stupid. I know it's likely to be water loss with all of the intestinal stuff. Still, when those numbers come up on the scale, they make me happy anyway.
Can someone write in my comments why, during the Challenges, it's been so important to drink all that water? That's just impossible for me. I keep forgetting, for one thing. And even when I'm thirsty, I can't drink all that much during the workweek because I'm not allowed to go to the restroom whenever I want to. Still, I like to try on the weekends. What does it do for the body? I read somewhere that it reduces migraines. Is that so?
Sorry to be so ignorant, but Allen's blog doesn't have a search function. Maybe I'll go all the way back to the beginning and read it. I did go pretty far back, but not all the way. Now that I sort of "know" him better, I'd like to read everything he wrote.
I sincerely hope I've spelled Allen's name right. I've seen it as Allan, too, so I'm not sure. If it's misspelled, let me know and I'll correct it.
He was on a tear today, wasn't he? Do you blame him? Karen, what you wrote about not all people were ready reminded me so much of myself and smoking. What a waste of years and money invested in the most dangerous thing you can do to yourself. I wish I'd snorted coke instead of inhaling nicotine, frankly. (Coke is God's way of telling you that you make too much money.) And I'll never outlive some of the negative health effects I earned from it. But I just wasn't ready to quit until I did.
Back to Allen, and I've said these things before, so skip ahead. He's working his diet hard in such a difficult situation because of his job. I'd pick up several entrees and go nuts with them if I worked there. Do you see the beauty of some of those dishes? Anyway, he's doing it, he says, because he broke that chair, had an epiphany, and decided he didn't want to die, or worse still--live as an invalid. Or at least I think he was afraid of the latter. If you've ever seen a heart patient in a wheel chair, you'll know what I mean.
He's smart, persuasive, charming, and had contacts. He researched bariatric surgery. He saw the diet he had to follow pre-op and post-op. He had another epiphany: if I have to eat like this with the surgery, why can't I just eat this way and lose the weight without it? Hence a great idea was born for him, keeping in mind it wouldn't work for everyone. He started a blog. Many came. Many learned. Many joined in the fight. He was able to make a deal to get a marvelous, nutritious, weight loss plan that would normally cost people thousands of dollars, for free. The plan was vetted by bariatric specialists in medicine and nutrition. All people had to do was follow the plan, and they would lose xxx amount of weight in a tad over a year. (Is it 15 months? I forget.) He's lost over 180 lbs. since last June, right? Not even a year. The Plan requires: 1. healthy eating, 2. lots of fluids, and 3. mild to moderate exercise. That's it. Yup, the good, old-fashioned, low-cal diet. Don't cut out all carbs. Don't cut out all meats. Don't cut out all fats. Just less of all of it. No strenuous exercise, just some walking. No expensive purchases. Water is free from the tap. And he's lost over 180 lbs. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.
More deals. In addition to the free medical advice, he's managed to get wonderful prizes for those who've achieved their goal weights as a percentage based on their original weight, etc. I can understand it but can't explain it. There are two top prizes. One will definitely be awarded. The other is identical, but is a personal challenge to one person in the plan. If she doesn't earn it, no one gets it. The prize is worth thousands of dollars, too. All together, the rest of the prizes tally well over a grand or two and it might be more, because I don't remember them all--there are just too many. So if health doesn't motivate you, and vanity doesn't motivate you--hell's bells: what about sheer greed? I thought money motivated everyone.
Okay. There are some people who, for medical reasons, had to drop out. That's very different and everyone knows that, although not everyone could have predicted it. But those who dropped out because they'd rather eat the way they always have, lost an opportunity they will never have again. I'm not giving up hope for them, though, because the time will come when some of them decide they can't go on living the way they're living now. They'll have their own epiphanies, and take off the weight, changing their lives. Others will not be as fortunate.
I feel bad for him. Though he's said a hundred times that he blogs for himself--and I believe that's true--I believe he also wants to help as many people as he can to get to their goals, succeed at something they've only dreamed of all their lives, and give them the opportunity to finally find real hope and ultimately, success. He has a huge heart, great humanity, and a remarkable generosity.
Only about half remain in the Challenge. I guarantee you he's disappointed. I'd be angry, at least for a little while. Different personalities, I guess.
Maybe you shouldn't give people things. It's like lending a friend money. That's the last time you'll see them because they don't want to pay it back. If they do want to pay it back, yet can't afford it, they disappear out of embarrassment. Either way, they're gone. Same with the Challenge people. They were given a huge amount, all for free. They can't pay it back with weight loss, so they've flown the coop. But 36 remain. Those 36 are a badge of honor, and are honorable themselves.
I've wandered far afield here, but I had to get some of this off my chest. I should have only said: Those who left the Challenge for real reasons. . . I'm sorry you're sick, and hope you get better (if possible) as soon as you can. Those who left because they couldn hack it. . . you lost a once in a lifetime opportunity. Those who've remained in the Challenge. . . no matter how much nor how little you've lost, you're honorable, hard-working people. You made a commitment and you're sticking to it. Fabulous!
And Allen? He's a great, great, guy.
Yes, he is a great guy. Allan has done all of this out of the goodness of his heart and it amazes me the number of people who don't see it and talk bad about him. Yes, he is blunt, yes, he tells it as he sees it, but he is not someone that is out to get you, you always know where you stand with him. I hope to meet him in person one day!!
ReplyDeleteI answered your comment over at my place. I really like Allan. Running a business, supervising employees, and meeting deadlines makes people get to the point because there isn't time for all the niceties. I appreciate that but I do understand how some people could misinterpret what he says and how he says it. I usually get a chuckle out of his "in your face" way of expressing himself.
ReplyDeleteI read Allan's blog from day one to present and then wrote him and told him how much I enjoyed it and that I found it informative, helpful and inspiring. Being on maintenance for me means I'm always looking for inspiration. :)
ReplyDeleteThe fluids came from a Doctor here in the city. His math is 1 ounce of water per 1/2 pound of body size, plus 11% of that amount for the minimal exercise we are doing minus .00184 ounces of fluid per calorie eaten, as food has liquids. It is complicated. All good otherwise...
ReplyDeleteIf you don't earn something yourself you have no appreciation for it's true value. On the matter of an opportunity lost forever, I don't subscribe to that thought train. I don't think they're anymore doomed than the rest of us, Al's plan or not. We're all going to die. Unless some scientist discovers the key to forever living. You say his plan for all of his challengers is vetted by bariatric specialists. Do you have proof of this? Al's got some great ideas (and yes plenty of medical help, his words) how to lose weight and they have worked for him. He should be patted on the back and given a high five for stickin' to it and doin' it. He's rockin' it and that's AWESOME! ;-)
ReplyDeleteAs for you... Do you want to be healthy or not? As I have told myself and will tell you, there are quicker ways to pursue death and still have plenty of drama to boot if that's your fancy. The road to self destruction is not one we should be on. And... we have a choice (even though that may not seem obvious to us) to turn off and go make or find a new way. Just don't turn around on the same road for you may find yourself being pulled back by the tide of folks who are on it, that's why it a well beaten path.
New day, new week, more to smiles to seek. Merry Monday! :)
Allan is the best. He has more will-power than anyone I've ever met to work where he does and stick to his plan. I would love to meet him some day but that doesn't seem to be in the future for now. He has helped a lot of people and I hope they all appreciate the effort he put into the challenge. He is one of a kind.
ReplyDeleteTwix, the "opportunity lost forever" isn't about not dying. It's about not having a large support group with free medical advice, a healthful diet plan, and fabulous prizes. Of course we're all going to die. I'm sorry that wasn't clear.
ReplyDeleteI don't have the first clue what you mean by "drama." What I wrote isn't dramatic--it's true. I hate to see someone give everything they've got and see him abandoned like that. In fact, I don't understand that whole paragraph. If you get an open block of time (I know you're busy), can you give another example or two so that I get it? Your opinions are always welcome.
MissMommie, I'd like to meet him someday, too, just to see if he's as much of a dynamo in real life as he is in writing. I have no doubt it's so. I prefer someone who's frank to a person who sneaks that knife in between your back ribs. I just had that happen at work. Pretty ugly, and awfully weak. There's a point when cruelty is masked as honesty, but I don't think he reaches that point. Others disagree.
Yes, downsizers, you said it. Someone in his position in his work life has a tremendous load on his back, and is responsible for the entire way the business is run. My husband does the same thing. He works every single day, either at the place or catering parties, although not more than 60, 65 hours a week, depending on the season. People's livings depend on him. (Allan and my DH.) They expect others to give at least 90% when they're not sick. It's a hard standard, but I think fair, since they're being paid 100%.
Caron, I've read your blog. I'm proud of you for making goal. That's incredibly difficult and as hard as taking it off, imo. We have a problem with food, and that will never go away. But we can beat it! We can control it. And we can win--you did, and do. You are inspiration, to many, many people, and I hope you know that.
Karen, he obviously respects you, too. He should--your will-power is a force of nature, to my mind! Yes, his will-power is extraordinary, and he freely admits that he's not perfect, and hasn't been perfect, through all of this. It's monotonous, for one thing. It causes you to concentrate on your intake. Only wanting to be healthy, more attractive to others (is that a factor for you? It was for me.), and get into shape can give you the motivation to do it. Once your eating disorder controls you, however, as it does in my case and the case of obese people, that's still concentrating on intake. Food becomes of huge importance. So it's important either way.
Definitely one of a kind. But so are you, my dear.
"Twix, the "opportunity lost forever" isn't about not dying. It's about not having a large support group with free medical advice, a healthful diet plan, and fabulous prizes. Of course we're all going to die. I'm sorry that wasn't clear.
ReplyDeleteI don't have the first clue what you mean by "drama." What I wrote isn't dramatic--it's true. I hate to see someone give everything they've got and see him abandoned like that. In fact, I don't understand that whole paragraph. If you get an open block of time (I know you're busy), can you give another example or two so that I get it? Your opinions are always welcome."
I went back and reread my comment. Chuckles... I see how you read that now. There was a gap of info I ommited in a trying to shorten my response and hurry up my time as life would have it. And lol, now it reads funny. Those two comments were meant to be separate from each other. See how easy somethings just get slopped together and misunderstood! I don't think the opportunity is lost forever. Maybe with Al and his crew, whoever they may be. But not opportunity lost forever in general as in regards to weight loss or help or even having a large support group with free medical advice, a healthful diet plan, and fabulous prizes. That is unless you can read the future and you know this. In that case please sign me up for a session I wouldn't mind knowing somethings that are going to happen in advance. Sigh... Sorry not trying to come off sarcastic. It's just the lost forever part comes off as drama to me. As in oh my we're all doomed, the sky is falling. Nah... And lets face it there's something about us all that likes a little drama, myself included. As for death, that is the one thing that is guaranteed.
Even when I took part in his challenge, not one of the medical professionals contacted me. I didn't expect one to. Nor do I expect one ever to, for anyone for that matter. That's not saying that I don't believe they exist. That's acknowledging that Al himself said to except his challenge with blind faith. Something I'm not comfortable doing for a myriad of reasons. I do think what he is doing for himself is awesome and anyone that can follow along and it works for them - that's great.
For me though without knowing a lot of missing info felt akin to jumping off a cliff with a bunch of lemmings. And the back story to that is, that is something my English professor used to discuss.
The road to destruction is a well worn path. Many are on it. The question is what do we do when we find ourselves on it? As for the drama, I think many of us on this road can be drawn to drama if not creating a bit of our own. Why else would you sometimes find elaborate sob story suicide notes? I once had a guy call me on a suicide hotline telling me how bad his life was and that he was going to kill himself - get this by jumping off of his dresser drawers. Someone can shine the light on you and say that you are being self destructive, but it's your choice to acknowledge it or not.
You're not going to be fat weighing 100lbs, just like I'm not going to be skinny weighing 200lbs. But the both us need to stop being destructive with ourselves.
I'm sure I somehow have left you even more confused and for that - sorry. If I have, let me know and I'll try again.
The water: the metabolism of fat needs the fluid to healthfully and safely flush out what the body breaks down. Also, water is filling. Drinking lots of fluids helps send "we have stuff stretching out the tum, you can stop eating soon/now." For obese folks, the sensation of fullness comes on slower than leaner folks. We need a lot of stretch and get the signals/chemicals going to the brain that say STOP EATING. So, water/fluids help keep the stomach filled and help flush the byproducts of fat breakdown.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think it's fine to drop out if you think a particular challenge is not your cuppa tea. I just was sad that it was so many, nearly half. Some will always d rop out due to health/injury reasons. Others just give up. The ones who do so out of a good consideration--even if that consideration is, "I've given this a good shot and I hate these exercises and this food" and then go get good help to find a more individualized healthy plan (ie, see and RD, see a trainer, try new sports, get books on a different sound eating plan", I respect that. I don't respect just, "I'm tired of dieting and wanna Big Mac and I hate walking, wanna watch tv." That's a wuss.
But knowing that there isn't a fit between challenge and you, that's okay. Happens. As long as they go on to search out a more suited plan...and don't go inert, they'll progress. :)
I like our Drill Sergeant. And I grew up in NYC, so I'm used to the NY tough talk kinda thing. It doesn't scare me. It just reminds me to not give up.
Hugs, baby. Eat your protein, K? Wish I could eat carbs without fear...sigh...love pasta....
Hugs, baby. Eat your protein, K? Wish I could eat carbs without fear...sigh...love pasta....
Ah, PD, that explains the water, then. It was such a massive amount, and I guess I run around pretty dehydrated to avoid having to pee at work, that I'm not accustomed to it. But from what you said, dieting or not, one should get enough water. I read somewhere that migraines can be triggered when a person doesn't drink enough water. That's going to be enough to get me to do it, and work admin can get over it, imo.
ReplyDeleteTwix, the opportunity to do all that's being offered by Allan's Challange program is lost (you forgot the cool prizes). If you can see the future that it's possible, give me a Lotto number, okay? Because the chance of that happening is 17,000,000 to 1, just like the lottery. We're going to have to agree to disagree. I haven't seen all that much good in the world since I've been born, and that probably affects my opinion.
But of course they can lose weight in the future.I never said they couldn't. I did, without a challenge or any help. But I wasn't willing to drop out of my own program. Here, I agree with PD about quitting. A lot of people thought they could do it who couldn't. Maybe they'll be able to stick to a diet program in the future, that's true. And maybe they can do it the way I did it. But I wish I'd had all the advantages that this Challenge offers--it would have been so much easier.
Then again, I think that EDs can't be cured without help, as you know. I think a loss of weight will only trigger something else in obese people if it's done without help, whether that be drinking, spending lots of money on clothes for their new bodies, or even another ED. That's why I said I shouldn't have done a weight-loss diet without help. But most obese people don't recognize there's something wrong with them beyond eating too much. Even Allan feels that way. We've all done deep research; we've all come to different conclusions. That's to be expected, since we're different people, and even scientists do it.
Something in your writing comes across to me that you think Allan is lying. That the people who are following the diet are "lemmings;" that because a doctor never called you personally, maybe the doctors don't exist? And other things you wrote. Of course you don't have to believe him. He's a stranger, and he might be lying for his own unknown reasons. I realize that--I wasn't born yesterday, and I've been the victim of scams over the years I've been alive. But I'm not ignorant, and neither are the others who are still participating. We're going to have to agree to disagree again. I like this. We can disagree and no harm done. It's refreshing, to tell you the truth.
I don't believe or disbelieve he has medical professionals rounding all of this up. I'm just acknowledging that is what he sais. I have no opinion on whether he's lying about that or not. Sorry I came off that way. If he sais it, so be it. In my gut the challenge felt lemming-ish (like follow the leader blindman style). I view his challengers as sincere people seeking help and are willing to follow through. I think they are brave. I like Allan - in that he is helping folks and that is AWESOME. :)
ReplyDeleteI'd seek out 'professionals' if I had the ability and the cash. And I put professionals in quotes because not all of them are. Some just have the Dr or whatever in front and truly suck at what they do.
I think you and I are miscommunicating way to much. I'll except that responsibility, as I have been told that previously by quite a few others. Not sure how to correct that though, other than shutting up. I tend to think we agree more than what you realize. I just have a hard time communicating that.
so once again..sorry
*accept .... to late in the even' for my wee brain, ha not firing on all cylinders. ;-) Off to bed as tomorrow is day 2 of training. And I must bust through this wall!!! That requires sleep, even if I have to visit Walgreens.
ReplyDeletegood luck on whatever project you got working on next :)
We're at a disadvantage, Twix. I just said that to someone else. We both write well, imo, but of course we don't always write so well that we remove all misunderstanding from our writing, kwim? But a bigger part is that all we have is writing. It's a cliche by now, but some things are cliches because they're true: writing isn't enough. We aren't looking each other in the eye. I can't see your hands as you speak, and hands speak with a person, and for a person. I can't see your facial muscles, nor you mine. I can't hear your voice, its rising, falling, tone. We have all of the cues in real life, and that's how we communicate accurately. Unfortunately, we don't do that on the web. We're left with a fairly limited way of normal human interaction, don't you think? There'd be little misunderstanding if we were sitting across the table in a coffeehouse, solving all of the world's problems. :~)
ReplyDeleteSo I'm sorry, too, and will try my best to write better.