I think I told you that they cut my hours in half and switched me two days a week to second shift from mornings every day. I hate second shift, and the financial loss has been truly bad, since my DH was cut 20%. We're hurting, in other words. Fortunately, we had some savings, so we've been able to make it through, but I sure never thought I'd be using savings for everyday living. Well enough whining.
The point is that Mondays are a second shift day, and I always look forward to excellent bread for breakfast Monday morning. I don't have any today. Boo hoo. We're in three wars in the Middle East, and I'm concerned with bread. I can be so selfish.
I'm going to calculate time to see if I can bake tomorrow. I know I have enough time to make focaccia, but I don't like it as much as a loaf of Italian bread with sesame seeds on top, formed into a pretty braid. Or challah. Aaaah. I'd love some challah. I'm happy my body tolerates carbs well, because I love many high-carb foods. However, I could use more protein in my diet, so I'll make a strong effort to get more.
Allan's post this morning was poignant. How well I remember the name-calling when I was overweight. I think it's even worse if it starts when you're a child, because that's when you're developing your entire self-image and respect for yourself. It continued, in my case, into adulthood. I can only imagine what it was like for him, and other obese people--a hundred times worse? Why are people so horrid to fat people? They aren't hurting anyone. You know the high-IQ group, Mensa? A study was done on the members and they found that Mensa members had a higher rate of obesity than the general population. Could it be lifestyle, in that they tend to read instead of work out? Smart people read. I'm not saying that people who work out are dumb. I'm saying that people who read are smarter than people who don't. If you disagree, fine, but I'm not going to change my mind. I've never met a smart person who didn't read, but I've met plenty of dumb ones who don't.
Yeah, I'm feeling snippy this morning. Karen's cranky, too. I guess it's just a shitty Monday. I was reading some good stuff last night on EDs, including obesity. Can't wait to blog on that, and how they're related.
Hope to see you later today, and hope everyone in a funk gets out of it and feels better, okay?
LOL, FF. I guess you need your bread fix. You are tempting me with that Italian loaf but since there is none in the house and I can't make it I guess I am safe. I am someone who gets upset about a change in the routine very easily. When I was doing yogurt for breakfast everyday, I would be cranky the whole rest of the day if I woke to find we were out. Little things like that drive me nuts. I guess EDs like to be in control of food whether they are obese or too thin. I really like being in charge of what goes into my mouth. I might be a control freak. :)
ReplyDeleteBetter to be pissed off than pissed on!! Yuk, Yuk.
ReplyDeleteHi there FF, hope your day has gotten better :) I wanted to mention that you can get in quite a bit of protein with your carbs by making French toast with Challah bread, and using real eggs. Add a splash of vanilla extract and a little cinammon and YUMMY! And it's even better if you bake it in the oven :)
ReplyDeleteI'm not surprised by name-calling, since kids have this inherent ability to be cruel toward a person with the "outlier" feature. The super pimply kid. The super short or super bony kid. The fat kid. The homely kid. The frizzy haired kid. The bucktoothed kid. The cross-eyed one. The glasses-wearing one.
ReplyDeleteI know in university in my 20's and weighing about 188 lbs (much less than right now), on the border of obese, but not quite, I had a student behind me who I shared a couple classes with just up and say, "You know, you're fat." Like, what, I hadn't a clue shopping at Lane Bryant? Huh? Where does THAT shit come from from ADULTS??? I stared at her as anyone would when a rude comment is made for no apparent reason: "Yes, I am. How does this affect you?" She shut up. I don't take that shit. I was top of that class group, and I kept hoping she'd need to borrow my notes so I could tell her, "What? I'm fat. Surely you know that means I'm undisciplined and stupid? How could you want my notes?" haha. never came to that. :) I think I eventually won her over, as she became nicer and nicer. But then, I gots personality! :)
I know kids are rude. I know the school environment can really foster cliques and bullying. Being different in any way will do that. But adults--they do not get a pass. You should have learned manners and know better by then. You don't call someone bony, fat, ugly, shrimp, etc once you're out of grade school, ideally, and high school for sure. :) Or you are developmentally really ....an ass.:)
Wish I could have yummy baked goods...but to me..they iz da debbil.
I've always been a bookworm. I own thousands of books. Now, I'm trying to segue to ebooks and save clutter/space. I have one apartment just for my books (though they spread out across four apartments, believe it or not). IQ has been measured, variously, from 136 to 138. Not Mensa level. Hubby's is 142. We read a lot. :)
ReplyDeleteWhy do people have to be horrid period?
ReplyDeleteI like the french toast idea. Yummy!
Karen, if you're a control freak, then so am I. Yesterday, I expected to find penne pasta with a regular tomato meat sauce for dinner that my husband cooked. I looked forward to it all day. I swear that if he'd made chicken and rice or something, I'd have been bummed out. Something that small regarding food can disappoint me. So silly, but there you are.
ReplyDeleteOMG, downsizers, that's just and awful joke! It made me laugh, though. It's like puns--they're goofy, and you don't want to laugh, but you can't help yourself because they're funny. :~)
Laura, what an excellent idea. I'll bet DH would make it; I'm way too lazy. You really mean you can bake them? I've never heard of that. It would be so much easier that I might even give it a try. Real maple syrup or confectioner's sugar must be added.
Yes, PD. Children can be very, very, cruel. I assume that their parents have allowed this, or maybe it's some stage they go through. Sometimes, it's just ignorance. Because I was called names due to my weight, I got it right away that it would hurt others, so I don't remember doing it to others.
I knew you were intelligent the first time I read your writing, chica. It's obvious. You can't help it! BTW, Mensa goes by SAT scores, their own IQ tests, National Merit scores, etc. If you score on any ONE of those tests high enough to get in, even if you don't on any other, you're eligible to get in. They want as many people as possible in the group. I do NOT feel that test scores measure absolute intelligence. They do, however, measure the ability to learn academic ability. That's all. IMO. I know lots of smart people who wouldn't qualify.
I assumed you read a lot.
Twix, that's true. Child bullies often turn out to be adult bullies. It makes me angry. downsizers, I realize you'll forgive them because that's the way you're made. You're simply kinder than I am.
I don't know about being kinder than you are but I am commanded to forgive or I won't be forgiven. We all fall short. It doesn't mean we can't respond but we often fall into the hands of the mean spirited by acknowledging them which I think is often what they want. If we don't take what they give us then they have to keep it. Controlling the anger is the tough part but then again, should we give them that satisfaction?
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to find the specific recipe I saw for that baked french toast, but I'm in the middle of my 3 hell days at work and won't really have any "me" time until friday. I also noticed that, even though I have you on my blog roll, I'm not seeing when you have new posts :(
ReplyDeleteOh, and about the bullies and mean people, yes they most definitely suck. My greatest talent throughout my life was being an escape artist - when things got bad, I would run away. Maybe that's why now that everything is good, I just plain old run :)
I'm gonna try to find that recipe real quick before I have to get everything ready for tomorrow's 15-hour day.. ugh!
This isn't the Challah bread one, but looks super easy and yummy (and I'm sure you could pretty much use any bread you'd like, Lol!
ReplyDeleteIt didn't paste the link *sigh* http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2011/03/french-toast-casserole.html
ReplyDeleteLaura, this looks so much better than regular French toast because not only is it easier, you could prep it the night before and bake it in the morning. What could be better for a busy morning schedule? You could run around while it bakes.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the recipe. I just love real maple sytrup, too. Sometimes I just eat a tablespoon right from the bottle. lol.