Can't keep my mind off obesity/EDs, food, eating, etc., and our blogs. Even at work, my mind wanders to blogspot, wondering if there are new posts. The self-revelatory entry I made is still up, and I decided this morning to stay brave and keep it up for a variety of reasons. The biggest one is your comments. They're beautiful, and I'll return to them when I need to read them. Thanks, guys, again.
I was crazily antsy about getting some more ED books, and studied Amazon for an hour or two trying to decide what to get. I already have one that I haven't blogged about yet, even though I've finished reading it, so I didn't need any, but chose two. They were just delivered ten minutes ago.
The first was two cents, plus $3.99 s/h. It's in nearly brand-new condition, too. I've decided not to get anything older than 2005 since there's so much new science in the field. If there's something good on the philosophy, politics, etc., I don't care if it's older, but science changes too rapidly to stick with old stuff.
Anyway, the first one is called, The Body Betrayed: A Deeper Understanding of Women, Eating Disorders, and Treatment, by Kathryn J. Zerbe, M.D. You'll notice that I emphasize women in my blog. Part of it is that I'm a woman and understand women's problems better. Another part is that all of the EDs, even obesity, have more women in them than men, although obesity is almost half-and-half. But the biggest part is that women comment here, and I think Allan is my only male reader. He's never sexist in his blog--he blogs for everyone. I started out that way, but until I get some male readers, it'll probably stay geared to women.
Zerbe is a staff psychiatrist at the Menninger Clinic, among other things. In addition to basic principles involving EDs, she's written chapters on "the impact of sexual and physical abuse, the relationship between eating disorders and chemical dependency, medical complications, the biology of nutrition, pregnancy, athletics...and much more." It sounded good, and like I said was only two cents. Couldn't pass it up.
The second one is the one I've been eagerly anticipating. It was recommended by Amazon itself based on my reading habits. Eating Disorders, by Pamela K. Keel. I paid a small fortune for it, and it's a skinny book, completely the opposite of the other one. But it looks well worth it. It's brand new, not second-hand, and is used as a graduate level college textbook, which explains its price ($30+!!). Just opened it and it went right to a page talking about "forbidden" foods and weight maintenance. It's discussing how it's probably easier to avoid whole groups of foods, such as desserts, than it is to eat them in moderation; that moderation may not be possible for those with an ED. I notice in several of the blogs I read regularly, particularly AGB, that's the thinking. Just don't eat the thin sliver of cheesecake to begin with, and you won't then eat the whole damn thing later that evening when you're alone. Makes sense to me, although many times I'm able to stop after that first bite. (Other times, not, which incites terrible fear; panic, actually. I want to run and run and run 'til I collapse.)
I'll be starting on the second book tonight: Eating and Weight Disorders, by Carlos M. Grilo. I have Post-Its stuck all through it to talk about. You poor people--more research papers. Well, no other blog I've been reading routinely addresses this stuff, so I guess I've found my niche.
Hope to see you later.
If you're interested in science-based blogs that deal with overweight and (peripherally) eating disorders, I suggest Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes (http://www.drsharma.ca/) and Debra's Just Maintaining http://justmaintaining.com/). They are both excellent though I suspect they may take you far away from your comfort zone.
ReplyDeleteNew follower. I found your blog today through Erika. I have only read a few entries, but you have a lot of good info here.
ReplyDeleteJo
http://awellkeptlife.blogspot.com
Can't wait to hear more. I'm off and running on my topic too. I should have the syllabus in my hand sometime between tonight and tomorrow night and then I will know how to begin. If this professor is a real go-getter he will post it all tonight. If he isn't, I might not get everything until Monday morning. I'm hoping he is on top of things as I like to get graded promptly when I turn something in. I guess I'm just impatient to find out how well I am doing when I'm in a class.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are reading and learning about yourself and others who have lived through the kind of hell that you have. I read so much about this. It helps me. Our behaviors were first a thought and if we can get facts and information into our minds, I feel like we are better armed for the fight. I would like to start a reading group where we would all read the same book and then discuss it online in a chat room but I don't know where to begin. If anyone else has the expertise, I think we could all benefit. I am going to have to limit myself on the blogging because I too get preoccupied with it. Only during certain hours or something.
ReplyDeleteNewMe, I have a pretty big comfort zone, actually, just not a public one, if that makes sense. I'm in hiding here. I won't always be. Thank you VERY much for the recommendations. You're a font of knowledge.
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Jo. Thank you for the kind words. Isn't IQ amazing? I swear, you can find anything in her blog. Thanks for saying you like some things you've found here. I'm still a beginner, and want to get better at this to provide you with good info you can use. I'll try! Thanks also for the url to your blog. I'll be reading it tonight.
ReplyDeleteKBO, you're not impatient. Everyone feels the same way you do about getting their grades in a timely way. But you know how college is: no grades or answers to your underlying questions for weeks is possible. Sheesh!
ReplyDelete"Our behaviors were first a thought and if we can get facts and information into our minds, I feel like we are better armed for the fight."
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool, and true.
A reading group is an imaginative idea. Like you, I don't have the knowledge to start one or set it up, but something like that would go over well, IMO.
I understand your need to limit your time on the blogs, but please don't go away. Promise you'll keep writing, too.
"Makes sense to me, although many times I'm able to stop after that first bite. (Other times, not, which incites terrible fear; panic, actually. I want to run and run and run 'til I collapse.)"
ReplyDeleteLikewise I'm able to share a candy bar (regular size) or have one dessert type thing or eat some of these so called no no foods that I hear some folks with EDs talk about and stop. There are other times I stop without eating thousands of calories but still a binge in my mind, but they seem to be less of those times than the times I'm fine (or maybe I've deluded myself into believing that). I don't want to exercise until I drop. What I'm trying to say is I get what you are saying. I do have a lot of negativity going on in my head during those times. And of late I just want to puke it all up. Something I don't recall truly intentionally setting out to do. So what makes me think I could go throw up and start that BS? Laxative abuse is something that I have dealt with. And sometimes she lurks out of the shadows. So it is scary to feel out of control as a way to gain control and makes no sense what-so-ever. I know how I got here, where I am at with my weight. It was deliberate and incredibly stupid. Probably confused the issue even more. It's hard for me to explain what I feel or what I'm trying to get at.
indomitable - Thanks I like that description. Glad you heard the rhythm. There's just so much that's happened over the past week I just wanted to spit it out. I got the old washer reset and the new one into place. Everything is set up and levelized. :) I've been a laundry nut all day. Feels great to get caught up.
I'm frustrated because there's this 5k I want to participate in at the end of April. And I'm way behind where I wanted to be (think I should be) at in training for it. I was hoping to jog most of it. It just seems like right now an epic failure. That's me blowing things out of proportion. As grandma would say gosh darn it I'm going to do it. ;-)
Interesting ED books. I hope you find some nuggets in them.
I promise to keep writing - I feel like I have to check on you and want to help and encourage when I can. I had a thought - have you ever considered starting a support group in your area? An ad with a phone# would probably find many people needing support. It would be a way to never be alone - we do our self-destruction in private and if we could go on "automatic pilot" when we feel it coming on and call someone we would have a kindred spirit to lean on in times of weakness. You sound stronger with each post and you make all those who comment feel truly appreciated with the way you express your heartfelt thankfulness.
ReplyDeleteFF: Thanks for the kind words. I am pleased that we've started a dialogue.
ReplyDeleteWow, NewMe. Those websites are wonderful, and so's your's. Can't wait until I have more time to read in depth. Thank you.
ReplyDeletedownsizers, I'm happy to hear that you'll keep writing. I enjoy your blog a lot. Don't abandon us! lol I'm flattered that you think I sound stronger, but I can't see it. You've given me something to think about.
ReplyDeleteAs far as a support group goes, the city's OA groups are spread around rather widely. There's a new one within walking distance that's for anorexics and bulimics. That sounds like good support to me. For support now, there's a website for those with AN that's very big and quite good. I haven't been there in a while, so you've reminded me about it. I'll go there in the next few days to see what's up.
"So it is scary to feel out of control as a way to gain control and makes no sense what-so-ever."
ReplyDeleteTwix, you've said something that resonates, but that I can't face right now. Let's just say that part of me thinks you might be on to something, but I can't quite get there from here. Do you know what I mean?
What do you mean when you say you got to where you are today "deliberately?" (if it's not too personal)
Don't call yourself a failure!! Whether it's about the 5K or something else, you're not a failure. I hate that word, especially when a woman does it to herself. We have so many people lining up to call us that; we don't need to do it ourselves.
That's brave of you to mention the laxative abuse. You do know how dangerous it is (you seem to be very aware of such things), but I think vomiting is worse. More dangerous, even deadly. Don't go there, Twix. One of the people I regularly read has that problem, and I fear for her. Don't make me fear for you, too.
The last 100lbs or so I put on deliberately. I knew what I was doing. feel free to email me - long story, but in a nutshell that's it - licktwix gmail.
ReplyDeleteI've come to a realization of out of control as to gain control. Without trying to go into full detail. I found the little girl in the closet I left behind many years ago. I had a tramatic experience in 09 that brought up lots of things that I had forgotten or thought I had. As of here very recently I've had a light bulb go off. That one of the ways I access this (my) closet(land of security, even though it isn't)is to be in a world of chaos or create chaos of my own. Thereby feeling secure. Hard to explain. My pysch doc that year explained that when we have traumatic things happen to us when we are small we can disassociate from ourselves. Something I knew, but wasn't or couldn't or unwilling to connect the dots that I had in fact done this numerous times. This is a process. Not fully formed ideas yet. Take for example one of the ways I would protect myself from hurt or pain would be to hurt or cause myself greater pain there by I couldn't be hurt. But in reality I was very hurt and in pain.
If it were only a weight issue, but it goes much deeper than that. I'm of the mindset that we try to heal the whole being.
Yes, twix. I understand completely about causing the chaos and causing the pain if it isn't caused by someone else or otherwise not there. I'm so very sorry something that horrible happened to you in 2009. Think of yourself as very strong--as long as you survived, not matter what shape you were in after--you "won." As long as you're alive--not murdered, by yourself or another--you're strong. You did everything right.
ReplyDeleteI disassociate on a dime. Or used to. Now I've pretty well beaten that. I say "pretty well" because you can never count on it to go away completely. Given another trauma, it could always reoccur. But so far, so good, for many years now. I wish you the same thing. Keep working, as you obviously are. It'll come.
I agree with you and NewMe that the whole person has to be worked on. The weight can be lost before, during, or after the work, depending on the desires and personality of the person. But sooner or later, it all has to be addressed.