Monday, March 28, 2011

Ramblings.

I'm done with the Grilo book, Eating and Weight Disorders, and will be starting either The Body Betrayed, or Eating Disorders. I also ordered two more books from Amazon--one very expensive, and one only one cent, which kind of makes up for it--with good sections on obesity. In fact, one is only about obesity, I believe. I think I've discussed all that would be of interest to us in Eating and Weight Disorders.

I got a copy of last month's Scientific American magazine because the cover story was on obesity. There was nothing new in it except talking about support groups and behavioral psychology, most of which we know. With a third of Americans obese, they felt that the best way to attack the problem was with diet and nutritional therapy with a registered dietician (a multi-pronged approach), but with behavioral counseling, too. They stressed the importance of group therapy, however, which surprised me, and said that virtual group support was just as good as face-to-face group support. That's what our circle here is doing, IMO. We're all virtually supporting each other.

I don't know if they meant group support for all EDs or just obesity. I tend to think it would work well for anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, EDNOS, and compulsive overeating, too. I know that when an anorexic is hospitalized, she's put into group therapy along with private sessions. That makes sense to me. I don't think group therapy is for everyone, nor for every psych problem, but I think it makes sense for EDs of all kinds.

I was really disappointed in the article because Scientific American is usually quite detailed about its cover story. It was only three pages long and mentioned genetics, neurotransmitters, and environment in passing. There wasn't any in-depth coverage or discussion of them. I expected more. I could have learned the same thing in Newsweek or Time, you know?

I hope Allan blogs more tomorrow. I like it when he does three entries. Guess I've gotten very spoiled! He's not blogging for us. I have to keep remembering that. He just didn't need to, or want to, do it three times today. But I sure miss it.

I'm up way too late this evening. I'll be sorry for it tomorrow, because I'll only get four hours sleep. Sleep tight. See you tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. I posted about that article a couple weeks back...and you're right. They did skimp. It's a big problem, a current concern, and it should have been longer and dealt with more of what science can actually say on the matter.

    I have never been good with keeping up with real-life support groups, given that I'm not always on the same schedule as most folks and don't get up or go to bed at the same time. Some days I'm awake by 10 am. Some days I go to sleep at 7 am. Internet works for me cause it's 24/7 and I can write and read at MY convenience...don't have to stick to someone else's set schedule. Nothing has been as supportive for me as the online blogging world (both for weight loss and other interests/goals). And so for folks who are online inclined--I have two sisters who never get on the web...so it's not for everyone--this is a great way to find support for all sorts of things, including fatfighting or ED healing support. Yep.

    So, post about your new books when you read 'em, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Princess Dieter. This support group that I have found through blogging has been such a help. Talking to others on-line feels safe and if we don't want others to see us, it's OK. I guess if any of us did want to do a 1 on 1 there is SKYPE. My cousin's daughter is in Africa on a mission trip and they talk about using SKYPE to talk and see each other. I have never used it. It is just a thought. I am up early and am always amazed at how many blogs I have to read and catch up on. I love talking about the topics in the books you read. You do a great job of condensing their content for us and pulling out the major points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to find a Bipolar support group. I have a weight loss surgery support group but I rarely make it because it is two hours away. However, I do go when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PD, I wish I'd seen that blog entry. I must not have been reading you back then. I've been meaning to go back on everyone's blog and get to know your thoughts/dreams/personalities better, but jeez--there are a lot of blogs just to keep up with in the present.

    I'll look for it, though.

    Definitely, I'll post about the new books. I read them for all of us. We don't have to agree with what they say, or how they interpret their research, but it's good to see other viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your huge compliment, downsizers. It means a lot to me. I think of it as my main purpose.

    My sister used SKYPE a lot to talk to friends in Saudi Arabia. Now she uses email and the phone more. She says SKYPE is great. I have a phone plan that lets me call anywhere in the country without additional charge, mostly to talk to her and my mother, since a conversation can go on for at least an hour. It's $40/month, but well worth it for me. For other places in the world, SKYPE is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, at the bipolar group, do you get a chance to talk? I went to a group that was for both unipolar depression and bipolar diseases, but it was huge, and I was the only unipolar there. I felt totally out of place. The schizoaffective disorder woman took up most of the time in the group. If it had been a recent diagnosis, I would have understood that. But it was a long-time illness, so I thought it was selfish. I really thought we should have spent most of our time with those who were in shock at their new diagnoses. JMO.

    That's a shame it's two hours away. A four-hour trip doesn't seem worth it for an hour's worth of group support.

    Does your weight loss group support maintenance, too? It would be great if you could find a group like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen - why not start a group of your own? A classified ad with a phone# would probably find people who would love to participate. There are so many out there who are hurting and need the touch of someone who shares their struggle. Perhaps you could touch base with the leader of that other group and he/she would get you going on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment on my blog about your uncle maintaining his weight by staying within a range. It is what I hope to do. And thanks for the book reviews. I read any article or book review about weight loss and nutrition, as you do about eating disorders. And the support group thing? I think we have a great one here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo, it's a wonderful idea to read about nutrition. It's something I forget about all the time. In pursuit of dropping weight, we lose sight, sometimes, of making sure that the calories we do get are very healthful.

    I'm happy you think we have a good support group on line, because I certainly agree. There are lots of new ideas; people can bounce those ideas off others, and there's emotional support for anyone who's trying. I admire those who are brave enough to put themselves out there to help other people.

    ReplyDelete