Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bariatric surgery.

I read about bariatric surgery today. The first surgeries for weight control in this country began in the early 1950's, with jejuno-colic bypass at the beginning, to jejuno-ileal (JI) bypass from 1954 through the 1970's. The initial surgeries worked through malabsorption. Many had to be redone due to the nutritional deficiences caused by the surgery. Along came refinements, and the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) was born. It and its variants are very successful, safe, and have fewer post-op complications. These surgeries are now done by laparoscopic surgery, vastly reducing recuperation, pain, complications, cost, scarring, etc. People return to their normal activities much sooner.

"Overall, studies generally report weight losses of roughly 40% of excess weight within six months of surgery with the maximum weight loss (roughly 50-60%) generally achieved by two years after surgery. In striking contrast to all other obesity treatments and weight loss methods, the weight loss produced by bariatric surgery is both substantial and highly durable over time."

Follow-ups at five and ten years post-op show around 50% are successfully maintained. That's incredibly impressive when compared to non-surgical weight loss methods. Patients have significant improvement or total resolution of co-morbidities such as diabetes, high blood lipids, hypertension, etc. The most interesting thing for insurance companies to get through their heads is that bariatric surgery for obese people saves huge amounts of money. There are "very substantial decreases" in long term health care costs of severely obese persons. There are also significant decreases in health care resource use, and morbidity, in those who have the surgery.

A megastudy which included 22,094 patients showed a complete resolution of diabetes in 76.8% of patients; hypertension completely resolved in 61.7%, and obstructive sleep apnea in 85.7%. It's interesting, however, that the improvement depended on the type of surgery in some obesity-related medical problems. "In particular, complete resolution of diabetes was observed as follows: 98.9% (for biliopancreatic diversion or duodenal switch), 83.7% (for gastric bypass), 71.6% (for gastroplasty, and 47.9% (for gastric banding)."

The RYGB had more weight loss and greater medical improvements than any other bariatric surgery. The "method is currently generally regarded as the 'gold standard' given its impressive clinical outcomes (weight loss plus broad improvements in co-morbidities) coupled with good safety record."

I didn't realize how different the results were among the various types of surgery, particularly percentage of weight lost. The band is the other one I have some idea about, since I've been reading a woman's website that's very well done. She didn't have all that much to lose, however, so it was a very good choice. You can eat a wider range of foods post-op with it than you can with RYGB, and the potential problems seem to be less severe, or more easily repaired, if you have them with either surgery. There's the whole filling thing to adjust the band to each user; I like that. But I also don't like that. In this woman's case, the port became displaced and is highly visible under her skin. As a matter of fact, they can erode the skin or stomach because they stay in. I doubt that happens much, though. Still, it's something to keep in mind.

This got me to thinking about under what circumstances I would choose bariatric surgery. At 200 lbs.? I don't think so. That's a low enough weight that I'd give dieting, therapy (cognitive, probably), exercise, etc., a good try or three. But 300? Now we're getting into serious weight. An RYGB is forever. I look at someone like Allan's success taking off nearly 200 lbs. and ask myself--do I have what it takes? Because all he's doing is following the bariatric surgery diet he'd have to follow anyway if he had the surgery. He's doing it without the surgery. It's such a marvelous decision (would I have thought of it?). . . However, it's truly not for everyone, nor even 10% of people. Will it have the same success rate as surgery, and for as long a time? It should about equal it, I think. Anyone can eat his/her way back up to 400 lbs. after surgery. Anyone. (Another thing I didn't know before I started reading about all this.) Surgery is (the cliche)--a TOOL. The patient did and does the work, just as if s/he was on a weight-loss diet, which s/he actually is.

My lovely friend here, who had RYGB done, was kind enough to explain her surgery and decision to have it in her blog. Now, having read her reasons, plus as much as I could about the surgeries, I think she made an excellent choice. I'm so happy the modern surgeries are available. I still think that researchers must get on board with finding a very safe drug to effect the same results. It's imperative, now that weight has become such an issue for so many people. Oddly, there are dozens and dozens of medications to help someone gain weight, some of them quite rapidly, such as the steroids and some of the older antidepressants (Elavil, in particular). Ain't that a kick in the head? Just what we need, eh? Not.

It won't help if you tell me it's a good thing that I gained weight. Really, it'll hurt--a lot. But I weighed 95.1 last Sunday, and 95.9 today, for a pound gained. All I can do is cut back this week and quit indulging myself. I should have known when I wasn't hungry all week that I was gaining. Too late now. I can only aim for next week.

Last night I asked DH what kind of bread he wanted me to make today, and he said he had a real craving for focaccia. That was about the last thing I wanted to make, but I did it, anyway. I had a piece and it was great. He'll take in the rest to work tomorrow.

I'm off to read now and decide what my menu is going to be this week. I have to lose this pound. It will be on my mind all week. Take care, people.

13 comments:

  1. Surgery can be a really contentious issue! My instinct is it doesn't fix the underlying issues, sure it generally means the person loses weight but does it solve the "why does the person over eat to the point of obesity" problem. This is my instinct, I've only known people who have had surgery and not lost weight because they adapted their eating to keep using food for comfort. I'm not having a go at people who do go for the surgery, everyone has their own journey to take. Surgery would never work for me because I would find away to soothe myself with food, I've spent almost 30 years fine tuning my self-soothing techniques. I'm sure there could have been medical intervention when I was younger, maybe anti-depressants would have helped me so I didn't need to numb myself with food, who knows, all I can do is move from here. Sorry got of the point with my ramblings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone has to apologize for their opinion on this topic. I like to be able hear all sides of an issue. I have mentioned my sister saying she would do it again tomorrow and my neighbor who said it was the best thing she ever did. Personally, it would seem to me also D that we need to address the underlying issue but I know my sister was so miserable she had to do something drastic. She is so much happier. We have to support people we know who make this decision. What makes a blog "followable" to me is the exchange among us. I've received so much. FF - I answered your comment from yesterday over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi FF, I could have sworn I was already following you but I see now that I hadn't been. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I find your posts very well-written and informative. Though I rarely (if ever) comment, I'm always reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always nice to get a look at the other choices out there for weight loss. I have never had surgery, and hope I never have to. So it's difficult to see myself having any kind of weight loss surgery. However, I have a couple of friends who have done so, with good results. Thanks for your informed reporting on all these topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, just got your message. You can reach me at licktwix@gmail.com. :) Haven't had much to say either. So sorry I haven't commented much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. D, I completely understand your point of view. For many years, I only knew a few people who'd had the surgery, and only one was somewhat successful. It seemed like a bad idea to me. Moreoever, before I knew about it in detail, I had this notion that it was easy to go through and to live with. OMG, nothing could be further from the truth. I think it's so much more difficult than being able to do it with regular dieting.

    Now I know people who have been successful, and know about the surgery itself. My whole outlook has changed.

    I absolutely agree that the underlying issues must be addressed for it to work. But I'm not convinced it has to be done before the surgery. Depending on the individual, it can be done before, during the prep (which takes months) and after, or all along. Since obesity is an ED in my opinion, the disordered relationship with food is of prime importance. Maintenance won't work without getting the disorder taken care of--you're 100% correct from what I've been reading.

    Isn't it so complicated, these EDs we have? There just must be some research done to deal with them. They're deadly, and too important not to discover a way to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found it, downsizers. Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to talk to me in our dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, that is so flattering, I can't tell you. I try to do my best but don't feel I do nearly as well as I could, or want to do. When I read something like what you wrote, it gives me much more confidence. Thanks very, very, much for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo, I'm glad you know successful surgical outcomes in people. It's a wonderful option for some people, although it really shouldn't be considered until other methods haven't worked out. But yes, it's good to see that there are options for all of us as individuals. I'd like to see more, of course, but at least we have some.

    Thanks for your very encouraging words about the blog. As long as people still want to read it, I'll keep writing it. I won't let you off the hook that easily! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Twix, I'm just happy and relieved to know you're okay and not having a rough time or are ill. Thanks for your email address. Next time I'm worried, I'll write there, because it seems that you check it more often.

    I do miss you, you know. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a good summary of the available surgeries. I would add only that I have read some recent studies that give me the impression that the lapband will eventually be taken off the market. The long-term patients are now having issues that necessitate the removal of the band. Some of them are having permanent damage done to their stomach as the result of the band. I feel much safer with my choice, but then I chose my surgeon carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's quite interesting, KBO. I read that there was a minority, but not rare, risk of erosion of the site on the stomach in addition to the inside of the external skin. The site on the stomach didn't have to come from a dislocated port, either, just from its normal placement. I wonder if that's the reason? Did it say?

    IMO, your choice is more difficult for a number of reasons; however, from what I've read, I would lean toward it. It's been in use for decades and there's been plenty of time for bad things to show up. It's like an old medication vs. a new one. The side effects of the old one are known. The new one is a crap shoot.

    That's a shame about the banded people, though, if taking it off the market happens. The vast majority are very happy with their surgery and will probably fear weight gain if it has to be removed. I'm very sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While there are lots of people who've had WLS and are happy and blog about it, there are lots who feel it's the worst decision of their lives. As long as various types of WLS remain medically approved though, it is a personal choice.

    I think one of the things that scares me about WLS is proper nutrition. You just can't get the nutrients you need on a starvation diet, even when taking supplements. Supplements are not a proper replacement for food. (BTW, just to be clear on things, I myself take some supplements, but I know people who take drawers full every day and I still don't have the impression that they are properly nourished. One of these people clearly has an eating disorder and barely eats anything while the other is an extremely strict vegan. She's always talking about the poor state of her gums. Hmm.)

    On the Internet, you can always find someone to support or tear down your point of view.

    ReplyDelete