Thursday, March 17, 2011

This anorexia episode.

I've had an ED all my life, since as far back as I can remember. Looking at photos from childhood, and medical height/weight measurements on report cards, I don't show any signs of overweight until I was 9 years old, when I was put on a low-calorie diet (inappropriately) by my mother. It was 1000-1200 calories a day with no change in eating habits and no increase in motion, although I was a pretty active kid. Placing a child on a calorie count like that is dangerous and would never be done today. She didn't know what she was doing, however, so she's excused.

She controlled my eating and weight, and my sister's, as long as I lived at home. She'd put me on a diet, then at some point say I was too skinny and force feed me, then say I was too fat and put me on a diet, again and again for a decade. By the way, I never reached that elusive "correct" weight. In her mind, it was always one or the other, fat or thin. There was never a day that went by that my eating was natural, happy, or otherwise uncontrolled. I was allowed no money, not even as a gift, so I couldn't buy any food if I was very hungry. I couldn't NOT drink her weight gain milkshake concoctions because my father would hold me down and she'd pour it into my mouth. It was easier to swallow than to choke and vomit, so after a while I simply acquiesced and didn't have to be held down anymore.

A little on the sick side? You bet. She was never in her right mind, and remains fucked up even today. During every phone call, she asks me how much I weigh. I lie. She then tells me the details of every meal she had during the intervening days between calls. Every meal, one by one. She's obese. Food is her life. She always talks about how little she eats, which is delusional. Obviously, she has a major ED, so it isn't any wonder my sister and I have them.

This episode of anorexia started, as is common, with a simple weight reduction diet. Probably people with a history of anorexia, or any ED, should only diet under medical supervision. I figured that at my age, there was nothing to worry about. I had to lose about 10 pounds, to get to 145, but wanted to lose 25, to get to 130. I lost exactly 60 in seven months. That's quite a feat when you're starting at 155, because the closer you are to normal weight, the more slowly you lose, as you know.

I've regained three pounds, up to 98 pounds. I'm now dieting to lose them as quickly as possible and get to 88 pounds. There. I've said it. It's out there. I don't want recovery. I want to be thin. I'm sure you can't imagine how fat I feel--immense. I feel as though I didn't even lose one ounce, and that's the truth. As I sit here, I can feel the masses of fat in my butt, waist, thighs, chin, everywhere. I can't stand to be this heavy. It's uncomfortable and makes it difficult to fit into bathroom stalls.

I sincerely believe I don't have AN. By my weight, regardless of how fat I feel, I should be thin, but I refuse to accept a diagnosis of AN. Some part of me accepts that I have an ED of some kind, but not anorexia. No way.

I decided to come clean in this post because of something PrincessDieter said in a comment. I talked about how open and brave Allan is on Almost Gastric Bypass. She basically wrote that we should all be that way, and that she'd broken herself of her fear to post photos, etc. I'll have to get a photo of myself at some point--just bought a cheap camera to do that. I owe a couple of people photos of me; thus I may as well put one up here.

So that's it. I might have to delete this at some point, but not tonight. Tonight it stays up.

Now for sure we're all in this together.

26 comments:

  1. I can tell this was hard for you to post. It was hard for me to read. I do think you have broken through a wall so to speak by leaving it up and posting the picture will knock down a little more of that wall. Just keep facing these challenges and going ahead and trusting us with your steps out of your comfort zone. You know you will have nothing but support from all of us. Your mother can't hurt you anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FF,
    It is so strange that you should post this today. I woke up today thinking of things my mother has done over the years that damaged me. I can't blame her completely for my ED but she should own up to some of it. She certainly is the reason, I lack self-esteem and need to be perfect to be happy with myself. I'm sorry you had to go through such things as a child. It is obvious how they affected you.

    I'm worried about you. I appreciate your being honest and I hear your message about not being ready for recovery loud and clear but I want you to know that I'm afraid for you and that I'm here if you need anything. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. X'd out because I can not win the contest.. Hmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this yesterday and just thought Wow. It was so hard to read, i can't imagine how hard it must have been to write.

    I agree that we are all in this together.

    I wish you the best of health, and hey, thanks for answer about St Patricks Day

    xx
    lesley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently saw the first episode of a show called "What's Eating You?" (or something like that) about eating disorders.

    At one point, the anorexic's therapist asked her to draw the outline of her body on a long piece of paper. Then she asked the woman to lie down on the shape she had drawn and asked her permission to trace a line around her, thereby drawing the actual contours of the woman's body.

    The results were, as expected, quite different. The anorexic saw her body as immensely bigger than it actually was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Forced Feeding. That is some shudder-inducing stuff. Sweetie, what you've been through! And what your mom must have put herself through. I'm guessing her inner landscape is hellish cause of whatever this is that drives her.

    Man.

    I never had restrictions on my food (what I ate, when, etc). I also wasn't fat until my 20's, though I hadn't been slim since age 9, when steroid shots started chubbing me up.

    I and my crap health are co-conspirators in my obesity. Can't blame anyone but me (and fate, if I wished).

    I hope you are getting therapy (haven't read enough to know what's what with you). I do.

    That said: Post headless pics. Posting photos without a face can have a reality-slap effect. Even if minimally impacting, it's something.

    I posted pics first a couple years ago, and it was startling to me (the camera avoider before, not now). I didn't realize HOW FAT I was. The pics were proof that I had a mental filter that kept the ugly truth from hitting me full force.

    Post your headless pic, and see if your brain can stop filtering. Your emotions stop clouding.

    One of my fave bloggers (private for now) posted headless pics, and her body rocked. Lovely curvy and slender. She sees herself as fat. Despite our entreaties and people telling her she looked great...her brain tellsher "Fat, I'm Fat". It's a skewed perspective.

    photos may help start giving you a real perspective, since your logical brain portion knows, KNOWS, 98 lbs is too low for 5'6".

    Here's a hug to you. Today, I pray a blessing over you, and I entreat the Lord to pour grace over you, peace and comfort, insight, and to open your eyes, the ones you see with and the ones you feel with. Power and light be upon you and self-mercy. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for being so honest. I don't feel that there's anything I can say that will get through to you. I'm sad to hear what you're going through. I know how hard it was to put this out here. For that I thank you. Not just for me, or for everyone that needs to hear, but thank you for being so brave and honest with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. downsizers, thank you for being there. The way you wrote your comment was simply beautiful, and you make me feel safer. Yes, it was hard to write, and I've been debating whether or not to do so for about two weeks now. The courage you and others have shown in your blogs inspired me greatly, and it's the only reason I decided to go through with it. Also, thanks for reminding me that she can't hurt me anymore. I really needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. KBO, I'm very sorry for the damage you sustained as a kid. There's the strong possibility that all of us ED folks experienced similar things which are in large part responsible for the way we ended up. As you said, the parties responsible--and it's always family, usually the mother--should own up to their part in it.

    Thanks for your offer of help. If I ever desire recovery, I will definitely come to you. Your knowledge base about our problems is extensive! Plus I trust you. You'd be a fine ally in the fight. Don't worry about me, though. I really think I'm okay. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AGB! It's always a pleasure to see you here. Well, to see you anywhere. Duh. I should have realized that you were lined out because you couldn't win the prize. There was someone else lined out a one point, too. It's the obvious reason, but I don't get the forest for the trees. Senility has set in because I need a NY strip. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caterpillar! What a fine thing to meet you and to see you here.

    I'm pleased you believe we're all in this together, too. We do have to be that way, because we're all facing the negativity of mainstream culture. I don't mean to put anorexics in the same category as the obese with that statement. While I've been marginalized and pointed out publicly for my disease, it's nothing like what overweight people go through. Nothing! And at least I can kind of hide behind layers of clothing to an extent. Obese people have their ED right out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, NewMe. Do you know what time/station that program is on? It sounds like something I should watch.

    I've never been in real treatment for my ED, but I know the drawing is one thing they do. I honestly can't say if I'd do it accurately or not, but I know how my body feels. Today is a very fat day. I believe that came from yesterday's calorie intake--constant grazing. It interests me a lot if big people would OVERestimate their size, though. I bet they would. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my, PrincessDieter. What can I say? You comment practically deserve a blog entry in and of itself. Thank you so much for your powerful prayer. I'm not a believer, but a good, very devout friend says I am. It doesn't matter. Powerful thoughts are just that, belief or not.

    It's a great idea to post headless photos, or ones where my eyes are blurred out. I wonder if there would be a surprise in my body's look as there was for you? It could make a difference.

    Yes, yes, yes. Steroids always; other meds such as anti-depressants, usually; cause tremendous weight gain. I'm sorry for your illness, especially at such a tender age. There's such suffering everywhere, isn't there? I have a friend at work with Crohn's disease--quite severe, with repeated surgeries. She went on prednisone to help it and gained at least 40 pounds. She went off about six months ago and lost it all. However, the disease has come back roaring. She's gone home several times at work to change her clothes because she's soiled them. I found her crying. She decided to go back on this week and is terribly depressed. She knows that the longer she's on, the more she'll gain--it's just the way it is. My heart goes out to her and everyone in her position. I gained about 50 lbs. on Neurontin; lost it; 35 lbs. on Elavil; lost it; etc. The "cure" (fat chance) is practically as depressing as the disease.

    Thank you for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Twix! Where have you been? I missed you. Thanks for coming back and commenting, too.

    And thank you for you kind and understanding words about my blog entry. Yes, it took a lot to go public. Karen had said something another time when I talked (in a less revealing way) about myself to the effect that it wasn't boring, as I thought. That we're here to know each other and support each other. I'd forgotten the actual purpose of our blogs.

    You and the other warm people in our circles of support make it a little easier to tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think virtually every woman has trouble seeing herself "neutrally". I was just over at someone's blog where she posted a picture of herself with two friends. She commented on how wonderful the friends looked and how terrible she looked. As someone who doesn't know any of them (I'd never visited that blog before), I thought the three looked just fine, and if I'd been forced at gunpoint to choose the woman who I thought was cutest, I would have chosen the blogger herself--the one who said how crappy she looked.

    I'm just curious: Since you've mentioned her yourself, how do you see Isabelle Caron? Do you think she looks terribly thin or just slightly on the thin side?

    From all that I've read about anorexia, one of the things that's mentioned most often is the anorexic's inability to see herself as she truly is. It's a tragic disease and the anorexic requires a great deal of professional support to overcome it.

    The story of your childhood is really heartbreaking and goes a long way to explaining your current situation. I realize that no one can make you seek professional help but in the spirit of one human reaching out to another, I strongly urge you to boldly "break free" of your past, find a therapist and embark upon a much healthier life--both physically and psychologically. You do not deserve the pain that has been inflicted on you and the pain that you now inflict upon yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.S. I got the name of the TV program right: it's called "What's Eating You?" and it's a six-part documentary of the E! channel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You, my dear are a lion hearted woman of bravery. I am hardly able to type this for applauding you.

    Please, don't take it down, if you can stand to keep it up. I honestly believe that getting honest with yourself in this way is going to be good for you.

    *hugs* to you, my brave friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing post... and what courage to put it all out there. You should be proud of yourself for doing just that.

    I am so sorry that you went through that abuse as a child. And I think you are right.. a lot of us with eating disorders/issues probably have some stories that brought us to where we are. I had a similar upbringing.. if not as extreme. We were forced to "diet" with my mom.. even though at the time none of us were overweight. I remember bringing carrot sticks and oranges for lunch in 5th or 6th grade. We would sneak food all of the time.

    I am now a closet binger. I eat when alone. Go figure. I am now working on not doing this.. and changing my relationship with my body and food. I wish you success in doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jacqui, I'm sorry as hell for what your mother did to you. Making you kids diet when she was the overweight one. . .*sigh*. Is there no end to the damage family can do to children? I can picture you sneaking food, because I tried to. No wonder you're a solitary binger--and I don't know any public bingers, really. My sister and I did together a few times. Sick.

    It's a hard habit to break once it's started. It's another one I don't think really ever goes away; that you always have to be on guard about it. You sound as though you're on the right track, though. That's a huge step.

    ReplyDelete
  20. NewMe, thanks for the info on "What's Eating you?" I have to find it and watch.

    I do have a therapist and a pdoc (psychiatrist). They're for my depression, and the therapist also helps me with my problems at work--strategies to get what I need and survive the job's bad things. He's terrible for EDs, though. If I want recovery, I'll go to a different one.

    You'll probably disagree, but there are parts of Isabelle Caro that look fine to me, and parts that look bad--primarily her face. I'm talking about the two billboard photos. She looks 20 years older than she was. Her face looks skeletal (which it was). Her disease is noticeable as a result.

    She has a pot belly like me. Her thighs could get a little meat on them; her calves are way too thin. Her arms look weak, but the rest of her upper body (back and chest) look fine. Her breasts have not one ounce of fat on them and look emaciated. I always had a flat chest so there's no difference from before till now, but hers look like balloons that all the air was taken out of.

    When in clothes and walking down the street in one interview, I thought she was someone whom I'd definitely look at and think: anorexia nervosa.

    Boy, can I babble on!! Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. IceQueen, my talented, intelligent, friend: If I ever recover from this, part of the debt I owe--a very large part--will go to you. In fact, right this minute, the only one I can see who'd have a larger part is my husband. (Poor bastard has to live with me. You, fortunately, don't!) You got me to come here to learn more about you. Little did I know that I needed to come here. You're my inspiration, putting yourself on the line; opening up your pain; being ruthlessly honest, and having monumental emotional courage. I feel honored that you said those things about me. Honored as hell.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Re: pot belly. It is a sign of malnutrition. Look at pictures of starving kids in Biafra. Every one has a pot belly. Apparently, it can denote a protein deficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. I'm a little behind (just reading this) so I'm glad you didn't delete ! That would've sucked for me !! I can't tell you that I know how you feel. I'm thinking, 98 pounds ??? Holy molly guacamole ! And the way your mother shaped your eating... wow. It's making me aware of the way I talk to people about food, weight, etc. I mean, the wrong way to go about it can change someone's life forever, ya know ?

    You know, you read people but you never know what's really going on behind everything (funny how I wrote earlier --before reading this-- about unveiling the real us ! hum !) --- and this puts things in a different perspective.

    I wish I could give you a hug. Ok, let's pretend you're getting one {{{hug}}}. I really hope you recover from this, not only because I want you to be happy, but I also want you to live.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Elle, you're a fine, fine, woman. Thank you. I like your blog a lot. You have a good, fast, incisive mind.

    I've become very careful about what I say to people about their bodies. First it started as an act of feminism--to make a person's body their own and not a subject for everyone else's conversation. But as I began to accept my weight (yes, I did at one time), and read more about the fat acceptance movement, discussing diets with coworkers, or how we look in a dress, whatever--became anathema to me. People just came out and said the rudest things to me. It must be a thousand times worse fo an obese person.

    Karen Carpenter started her diet because a music critic called her "chubby" in a review. She was so upset (she was really just a kid), she began a diet. Obviously, she had more problems in her life, control issues, primarily. But one word sent her on the path to starvation and death because no one intervened. Entertainers are supposed to be inhumanly thin.

    I'm warmed by your hug. What a caring, kind thing to do. Thank you, and a return one: (((Elle)))

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh sweet girl, my heart just aches for you. I love your honesty because I know this must have been extremely difficult for you.

    I have no words of wisdom, only that I understand how you feel. May God bless you and watch over you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Diana, thank you! I apologize for being so late in responding. I haven't checked my email in a long time and it's a mess (and embarrassing).

    Your caring--and blessing--mean as much to me as any words of wisdom; maybe more, because I certainly need them more at this point. I'll check to see if you have a blog. I'd like to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete