Ice Queen commented on one of my recent blog entries. The whole comment was good, but this part hit me like a brick:
"If the eating patterns that get a keep a person obese isn't disordered eating, I don't know what is."
Truer words were never spoken. There's great pleasure in eating, no doubt about it. But that's not why people become nor remain obese. Fundamentally, it's a highly unhealthy relationship with food. What most people don't know is that the painful feelings due to hunger can sometimes be pleasurable to an anorexic. Yes, sounds crazy, but anorexics aren't normal. There's a high to it. When we're dying of hunger, it means we're losing weight. That makes us happy. When we're dying of hunger and don't eat, we're showing we can control the most basic of desires a human can have. That means strength and control to us--a control we have nowhere else in our lives. I suspect that at least some of the time, it's as pleasurable as eating is to an obese person. But that's not why we become anorexic. It's disordered eating, just as it is for the obese.
That's why I insist that obesity is an ED.
It's also been shown that obesity frequently has crossover with the other EDs. As in anorexia, an obese person often feels she's not in control of large parts of her life. She can eat to comfort herself for that anger. They often binge; in fact, I'd say they all binge. That gives them Binge Eating Disorder. Not all purge, but a number do, making them bulimic, too. Binges are definitely self-medication. Compulsive Overeating Disorder is a frequent addition to obesity. I can't imagine that any obese person doesn't have COD. In fact, other than the anorexics, the people at OA meetings all discuss their COD.
So why isn't obesity termed an ED? I think it's because even today, not to mention two hundred years ago, it was seen as a moral failing by lay people (and was by medical and religious people, too), not as a mental illness. The obese are still seen as weak, lacking in self-control, normal but lacking in basic character, etc. I've known people--my therapist is one of them--who see anorexia that way, but nearly all people in the mental health field disagree. I'm seeing the tide turn with obesity in modern medical research of obesity. It's a physical, mental, and emotional illness, with genetic, neurological, and psychological aspects. There's no moral component whatsoever. As several of my blog entries have addressed, obese people are practically hated. It's crazy. I have some ideas about why that's so, and will probably post about that again later.
When reading so many of the weight loss blogs, if you do as I do, you'll see the bingers are everywhere. A few are bulimics and should be receiving medical care for that in rather than, or in addiction to, obesity, IMO. COD is rampant. That should be treated, too, or else the obesity will persist--once again, IMO. Oh, anorexics binge, too, but on a much lesser scale. A binge for an anorexic can be as little as 500 calories, or as much as 1,500 calories, nothing like the tens of thousands an obese or bulimic person will eat. Since a "regular" obese person won't purge, and obese people have more efficient digestive powers, that adds weight quickly. Bulimics tend to gain more slowly, and their binge/purge cycles are a little different. They can easily binge/purge a dozen times in one day, something an obese person will almost never do.
I know this is rambling all over the place and apologize for that. But one thing leads to another. What I'm essentially trying to emphasize is how much of obesity is wrapped up in the other EDs--so much so that ignoring that is a disservice to the obese, and why I think it's so difficult to treat.
You know, I haven't talked about people who are overweight in this blog, and only rarely mentioned them. I'll get to them in the future. I just want you to know that I'm always aware of them, and not ignoring their problems. Obesity and anorexia are life-threatening, however, so while the problems of the overweight are important, they're not dire. Anorexics have the highest death rate of all the EDs, but obesity isn't too far behind. They must come first.
As I wrote initially, I think we're all in this together: the obese; anorexics; those with BED, COD, bulimia, etc.; and all of the EDs. We have to band together and force the medical experts to see that obesity is treated the same way as the other EDs. We have to educate laypeople to understand that obesity isn't something to be hated, feared, or its victims to be seen in a terribly negative light. We really have to make laypeople--especially young women--not see anorexia as something desirable, a choice, and something to be aimed for.
Obesity is a sign of disordered eating, an unhealthy relationship with food--an ED. For real. It's not a choice. No one ever decided at age 5 to be obese. No one binges in an out-of-control way in order to get to 350 pounds. No one joins an obesity blog ring to get tips on how to gain weight. (Anorexia websites are filled with such people, as sick as that is, although it comes from pure ignorance.)
Fat is not disgusting. Thinness is not desirable. Normal is the thing to aim for. For the average person, that's a normal BMI. At 5'4", my range is 108 to 145 pounds, a very wide range. It's not 88 pounds, which is what I want to weigh right now. Oh, and when I get to 88, I'll want to weigh 85 or 83--that's the nature of anorexia. I don't want to die, just as an obese person doesn't want to die. Death is irrelevant in these diseases until the desire for health steps in and says, "No more. I'm getting off this road to death right now." Then, and only then, can recovery occur.
I hope I haven't bored you here, but this is very important to me, that the obese and those who are traditionally determined to have EDs get together and fight these diseases.
What do you think about this? I'm really interested in what you have to say.
I agree with you, FF. Obesity is an ED and I don't think I've been cured of this ED. I think I'm recovering and may always be recovering. The battle is never really over. I can't believe that I will ever have a completely normal relationship with food. I don't remember a time when I ever had a normal relationship with food. I'm at a normal weight now but I feel precarious. Like I'm on the verge of gaining it all back or becoming obsessed with losing and getting too thin. I'm about 3 pounds above my doctors minimum weight for me right now.
ReplyDeleteI get (= understand) the control and high feelings with being hungry. I can get there and it scares the sh*t out of me. Because I don't want to be a resident there. Nor do I want to be a resident here. There's control and high feelings here, too. Quite possibly that's ed universal.
ReplyDeleteAll eds can lead to physical death.
I also read this " A binge for an anorexic can be as little as 500 calories, or as much as 1,500 calories, nothing like the tens of thousands an obese or bulimic person will eat."
Lets talk about weird. I have no clue what it is like to eat 10,000 calories and more in a sitting or a day. It makes me ill just simply thinking about it. Last Monday a b-day cake was brought into my home for 10 people. Please understand me when I say this was a small round cake. My extended family can be weird that way. It was cut into 10 slices and then halfed again. I ate a half of a slice of cake. After that for a whole lot of reasons I acknowledge, I ate two more half slices of cake. Essentially adding up to 1 & 1/2 slices of cake - no ice cream. I considered that a binge. So what am I? F*cked up? It freaked me out eating that cake in the amount and way I did. I guess I must be confused because a lot of what I equate as a real binge is feeling out of control when I eat. I felt out of control eating that cake. It's also usually tagged by negative emotion - either before, during, or after or all three. There was a lot of negative emotion going cake forward. However when I read what you say and what others label as a "obese binge" I don't feel like I'm able to label it that way. And for some odd reason that brings in even more negative emotions. Because I'm fricking obese and for me it's a binge.
Btw I feel to some extent bmi is BS - like the food pyramid. I do agree with you that genetics do play a role in how large some people are. But honestly no one, unless they have a specific dna screwed up issue, is genetically wired to become 400lbs. There was a whole lot of choice going on there on many levels.
Karen, I agree with you--again. I think we're on the same page a lot. Just because you're normal weight now, as I was for a time, doesn't mean that the factors leading into the time when you were obese are gone. You know yourself that you're teetering on the edge of slipping downward below what your doctor has set as a good weight for you. I'm not terribly sure that losing another five or ten pounds would, in and of itself, mean that you're headed toward anorexia. It's the mindset that leads toward it--the need to keep going. You don't want to "flip" into another ED (although they're related) after all you've been through, and all the work you've done.
ReplyDeleteAs I said before, you have friends here. We'll catch you if you fall. Just continue to be honest and open as you always are. Maybe your pdoc can help with this? You see her twice a month, don't you? (((((Karen)))))
Twix, the feeling of being out of control is one of the most important things is calling something a binge, but I don't think I'd worry about having BED if I were you and only had a tiny bit of cake. I did that myself on Friday, only I stole the cake. I've never done that before, and it worried me. But I calmed myself down and realized that I stole five teaspoons of it, stolen or not. Silly to put a label on it. It wasn't a binge, and I don't have BED. I was damn hungry! lol
ReplyDeleteI see we're on different sides of the BMI issue. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I explained why I think it's useful for the average person. We're not elderly; don't have advanced osteoporosis; aren't professional athletes, etc. No, it's certainly not the be-all, end-all, of determining obesity or anorexia, but it's a good tool. The waist measurement is good, and the two together are very good for the average person. I don't need the BMI, nor do you, to tell we have EDs, of course. We know that. It's only a matter of degree. I'm not terribly thin. My BMI hovers between 16.2 and 16.6. It's been below that, but I'm stable right now. If yours is 35, you're in obese territory, but it's not 45. Am I making sense? Anyway, if you think the BMI is bullshit, you're in very good company! A lot of people feel that way, so neither one of us is really wrong. We're just leaning toward one belief or another.
Don't beat yourself up over the cake. It was normal, IMO. Just human.
Thanks, FF. Yes. I see Kristin twice a month and she is ready to jump on this need of mine to continue loosing. It can be overwhelmingly obsessive sometimes.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great post. I've been MIA from blog-land for a few days because of the weird mental relationship I have with food, and the mental hurdle I had to get over before allowing myself to post again.
ReplyDeleteLike I had mentioned before I had honestly never thought of myself as having an ED, and after you mentioned it the other day, and things I read online...it seems that I'm closer to the girls I used to be jealous of (I know, how horrible is that?) than I ever imagined.
It's sad to know that I'll probably never have a "normal" relationship with food. I can only control myself enough to have a healthy relationship with it. Which I guess is the goal of anyone with an ED that doesn't want to have it any longer.
Amanda, I agree it's sad to know that. It's sad to think that we'll probably have to think, at least some of the time, about what we're eating and why we're eating it. It won't always be physical hunger. But that doesn't mean it will always rule our lives. I think about food and weight constantly. I know when I'd been recovered for a long time, I very rarely did. It's such a wonderful feeling . . . so freeing.
ReplyDeleteI sincerely hope you get there, and soon. Thanks for joining us and commenting.