I don't know if you remember or not, but I baked a loaf of Italian bread Sunday just to see how it would come out. It was braided, nicely browned, and covered with sesame seeds. I have a photo I'll put up once I get around to it. The flavor was exceptionally good. It's as light as a feather with a good texture. The crust is crispy but not thick. El husband said I could make it any time I feel like it and he'd be happy. His way of saying make it next week again.
Gained a pound since yesterday. See what I mean about drinking a glass of water and gaining weight? A pound or two, up or down, might just be an artifact of bladder or bowel activity, not fat mobility. Damn. I was so happy, too.
I'm having a good time reading NewMe's links to medically-based obesity websites. I got a little caught up in Dr. Sharma's and have to be careful about that, since I missed a class assignment because of it. Couldn't help myself. Once I start reading something interesting, I often can't stop.
He was talking about how the relationship between obesity and diseases which are commonly attributed to it isn't what common thinking says it is. He doesn't find obesity to be a cause of excess cardiac death, stroke, etc. I think he makes a point in some ways, and it's a theory I read many years ago in a good book on the fat pride movement. I agree that there's a healthier obese person and an unhealthier one. Certainly if you're obese and fit, and eat nutritious (but scrumptious) foods instead of crap, and have decent genes, you're in a whole lot better position than the person who doesn't exercise, goes to Taco Bell and whose parents died at 60 of diabetes complications. I disagree that there's no relationship other than a statistical one, however.
Obesity--even simple overweight--does indeed cause insulin resistance, and thus diabetes, which is an extremely serious disease. The thinking now is that while genes are part of the problem, most people have some point at which they'll become insulin resistant, even if it's farther down the road than others. To say that overweight doesn't cause it is simple denial. Many people who lose weight go back to a normal blood sugar without meds. They do have to eat a good diet and do have to exercise, but hell--we should all be doing that anyway. Unfortunately, the disease isn't always reversed that way. It's usually asymptomatic for several years before being discovered during a routine blood test, so it's worse than it might have been if one were getting regular checkups. (And seriously--who does that? Does insurance even pay for it?)
So to say there's not much evidence that obesity causes disease and early death is whistling in the dark. But it's not as though every obese person is going to drop dead in between dessert and the drive home. Not every smoker gets lung cancer and dies young. If they did, I sincerely doubt there'd be any smokers.
I'll have to keep reading his site, though. I didn't check his sources or citations, so right now I don't know how large the studies were, what the controls were, how the studies were designed, and all that jazz. If he has the evidence about things other than diabetes, I'm willing to change my mind or at least, follow his lead wherever it goes.
Here's the link to Sharma's website: http://www.drsharma.ca/
I started a chapter in Grilo's book on bariatric surgery. I know extremely little about it, but want to learn. One thing I wonder is why someone would choose a Roux en Y over a band, or a sleeve, etc. Why a sleeve over a Roux en Y? I imagine that if one surgery were good for every patient, there wouldn't be so many different types.
I think the early bypasses, which worked strictly through malabsorption must have been grueling. I had a coworker who had one around 1978 or so, and he had a lot of complications. They finally had to go in and restore what they could. Several years later, he had another surgery--which kind, I don't know--and tolerated that one well. To the best of my knowledge, he had no problems and is still maintaining his weight.
A relative by marriage had her stomach stapled--remember that procedure?--and it helped, but she had to have the staples removed. Or, it could be that they're supposed to be removed after a certain period of time? See, I know nothing whatsoever.
I'm going to try to discuss the surgeries next time, as long as I get my reading done. I can't believe that I've heard people say that surgery is the easy way out. OMG, it seems to be far more difficult than any other way! Must be ignorance, that's all.
Anyway, that's for next time. Take care and sleep tight.
My sister had the roux-en-y surgery and says she would do it again tomorrow. I have a neighbor who also had it and told me it was the best thing she ever did. I've heard of people who didn't quite weigh enough to qualify trying to gain up to the point where they would qualify. I guess desperate people do desperate things. I have also taken risks with my health. Glad the bread turned out well. What is the healthy weight range for your height and bone structure? Just be careful what you focus on - remember - you are in charge now.
ReplyDeletedownsizers, I agree that desperate people will take desperate measures, and who is more desperate than someone who's been obese for decades and tried every diet program there is to no avail? Recent changes in qualifying for the surgery mean that many more people are eligible now. They also are doing bariatric surgery on adolescents, something that I have to read about in more detail. It seems awfully drastic to do it in a child.
ReplyDeleteAccording to my BMI, my range is 108-145 pounds. The terror that induces is astronimical, depending on the amount. If 108 causes fear, 145 is a fear so intense I wouldn't sleep, leave the house, etc. That's particularly odd when I remember weighing 140-ish and being happy as a clam. I don't recognize that woman fromo this vantage point, but I'm in a relapse and that's the way it goes.
My family doctor would be excited if I got to 105, my husband at 115, my pdoc at around 110, and 105 is the highest I could ever even consider in a million years. If right now I feel like I weigh 160, I can't imagine what I'd feel like with another 10 pounds on my bones.
That's wonderful about your sister. Yes, I think that those who've had a successful surgery are extremely happy. Imagine the change in your life! But it must take a lot of getting used to. To lose 100-200 lbs. after years of obesity is a shock to the psyche, don't you think? Maybe this is something I should investigate--the psychological aftermath.
If you weigh 98 and the lower end of your weight range is 108 perhaps you should just strive to stay at 98 until you feel comfortable in your body there. Then go to 100 and stay there until that feels comfortable. Would you be able to handle that?
ReplyDeleteHi!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're enjoying Dr. Sharma's blog. He's very informative and he doesn't just talk off the top of his head.
You used the word "cause" several times in your post, i.e. obesity "causes" x,y,z.
As someone who's interested in science-based information, it's important to distinguish between "cause" and "correlation". If I put a roast in the oven at 550 degrees for 3 hours, this action will cause it to burn. However, if I really like to read and become myopic, there might be a correlation between my vision problems and the fact that I read a lot. But it also might be due to the fact that I'm 45 and myopia is known to often begin when people are in their forties.
One of the huge (pardon the pun) problems with the whole obesity hysteria movement is that people believe that correlation is causation. It is not. There are too many people making too many blanket statements about what WILL DEFINITELY HAPPEN when one is overweight. All these statements do is the muddy the waters and create the kind of hysteria that helps no one and actually harms many people.
I admire Dr. Sharma and other serious observers and participants in the weight loss/management world because they have not jumped on the "sky is falling" bandwagon. We seem to have lost all reason when it comes to weight. We have lost all notion of the variety of shapes and sizes that healthy people come in. On TV, all we see are huge caricatures of humanity, waddling their way to various diseases, unable to walk, confined to bed. These shows make for very compelling TV, but honestly, I don't know anyone like all the people I see on TV.
Now that we've been scared silly by rapists and Islamic terrorists, the media has had to move on and it's found the perfect new subject of fear and loathing: fat people.
What we see on TV and read in the papers is not helping anyone to become healthier. It is an all-out campaign of fear. Rather than becoming healthier, I'm seeing people lose their ability to eat normally, going from binging to starvation dieting, and then ricocheting back again. They are being led on by people who actually know nothing about health and lots about stirring up fear. Because fear sells.
My whole blog is about separating truth from fear, fiction, pseudo-truthes and half-truthes. It's about seeking health rather than a precise number on the scale. It's about nuance.
Sorry to hijack your blog with this long comment. It's just that my heart really aches for how much people are suffering and how they are being led on like sheep.
No, no way did you hijack the blog. This is what it's all about--information, discussion, debate--did I say information? lol
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more that there's a kind of hysteria surrounding overweight in this country right now. While Michelle Obama's First Lady cause (they all have one) of reducing childhood obesity is a good one, it has led to open season once again on fat people. Just as hypoglycemia, celiac/gluten intolerance, carbs are evil, and other things became in style to have, now the trend of beat up the obese has come to the fore, this time in the guise of good health. But a lot of it is hatred of the obese as usual, not health problems.
That was a large part of the reason for the beginning of this blog (read the early days sometime if you're bored and want to become even more bored. :~)
However, I disagree with you about some of the medical stuff. I deliberately chose "cause," not "correlation" in my example of diabetes. I didn't choose other diseases, such as kidney failure, because the evidence just isn't there for me. I'll admit that I haven't read it all, but what I've read just doesn't convince me.
What I've read about diabetes, though, leaves no doubt in my mind that obesity--even simple overweight--causes adult-onset diabetes at some point. Will it happen to everyone? No, or at least not at certain levels. We are sure that smoking causes lung cancer, but not every heavy smoker will get it. That doesn't mean that the two are simply correlated. Overeating/obesity causes glucose intolerance, insulin resistance, and subsequent diabetes. With weight loss--sometimes very little--one can sometimes reverse the condition; although as I point out, that's not a sure thing once the disease has progressed to a certain point.
The link between breast cancer and weight is strong, but not strong enough yet to say that obesity causes it. However, it's one of the factors in developing this complex disease. Obesity itself is a complex thing, with multiple causes (imo), so that's not a surprise to me.
We're always going to disagree on diabetes: I can see that. But we have a lot in common with our beliefs about some of the other problems obesity makes worse or helps to develop. An example is arthritis or joint pain. No one has ever said (I hope not) that obesity causes arthritis, but it will make your knees or other weight-bearing joints hurt more if you have joint problems. Simple physics, or a kind of "common sense."
(BTW: Myopia starts young. Presbyopia is age-related. People used to say that if you read too much you'll become near-sighted. I sure hope that's not so today!)
We can still agree to disagree on diabetes and go to something else. . . strokes? Your choice.
Thanks for the correction regarding myopia/presbyopia.
ReplyDeleteAs far as diabetes goes, I still stand by my general comment on causation/correlation, but I'll agree to our friendly disagreement.
Certainly, such issues underscore just how complicated weight can be. It's really hard to be heard over the hysterical ranting of the "you must lose tons of weight this instant or you will DIE" camp. Often, the minute you question this opinion (which I believe is often "based" on a lot of bad science), you are accused of encouraging people to sit in their recliners and eat junk until they explode...which, as I'm sure you've realized, is far from what I advocate.
I have to say, the more we "talk", the more I see how much we have in common. To be perfectly honest with you, I wasn't expecting this at first. It's a welcome surprise! I really enjoy and appreciate our conversations.
I've got a ton of info about the gastric band on my blog, if you want to read about it. I am eating disordered, and I personally think that the gastric band could be used as a tool to help overcome certain eating disorders (such as compulsive overeating, for example). By the way, it's astonishing how low the success rate is with any of the weight loss surgeries. Very surprising.
ReplyDeleteChristine
www.phoenixrevolution.net
NewMe, I'm wondering if it's something I've said in particular, or simply my style, that led you to believe we wouldn't agree on lots. I'm glad we do have a meeting of minds here. While we're probably always going to disagree on some level about what obesity does, doesn't, cause, correlate to, etc. in mammals, I think we can agree that the arguments have more than a tinge of animus against the obese in general. Often it's just as much a political argument as it is a medical one. I feel certain that we're on the same side politically.
ReplyDeleteChristine, thanks for the link! I'm going to learn a lot, I can tell. I'm very interested in the band since it seems to be the most widely performed procedure right now.
ReplyDeleteIt's very nice of you to help me out. I appreciate it.