Sometimes, what looks like a helping hand is really a reaching out for help. Let's say that you see someone in need. They're in need of emotional support, love, a feeling that they're worth something, the strong need to not be alone, and so forth. So you reach toward them in order to help ease their pain. But it doesn't stop after a few times. A symbiotic relationship is set up, almost a parasitical living system. The helper feels terrific for doing a good deed, and the one who needs help, now has someone who cares enough about her that the helper will give up time and emotion, even food and money, to rescue the desperate one.
In the case of eating disorders, there's almost always going to be falling off the wagon by a dieter. She'll cry out for help. The readers will tell her she's a good person, don't hate yourself, everyone needs to break a diet now and again, get back on the wagon and start over. All very natural--the first two or three times. But with someone who's not invested in losing weight, the situation of need, rather than the weight loss, is what's wanted. So she reaches out continually. One by one supporters drop off, realizing that this is some sort of game the dieter is playing. Eventually, all who are left are those who play the game themselves. They are a living organism of pretty much eating whatever they want to, being "forgiven," and talking about how in the future--they'll name a date several days or weeks in the future--when they'll start the diet again. And the cycle repeats itself.
This thinking was triggered by one blogger in particular, but I've been reading a lot on the obesity ring and see that the game has other players. About a third of the bloggers on dieting aren't dieting to lose weight at all. They want to, but they won't do the real work it demands. Pleasure trumps health. Even when someone has had brushes with death, there's no change in behavior. It's baffling and irritating and sad, all at the same time.
The helpers are helping the dieter to kill herself out of their own need to be heroes. They also need to feel superior. Sound ugly? It is ugly. But it's the truth. It's like watching Maury Povich--you get to feel as though as bad as things are in your life, at least it's not the train wreck that's happening in others'. It's snobbery.
We have to learn when to pull back. You don't have to kick anyone in the ass, but you do have to stop saying it's all right to keep eating chips and chocolate for an afternoon snack. You have to stop saying that it was okay that she ate because her kid got sick, or her car broke down and cost a lot to fix, or her shoelaces came untied--any damn thing will do. Because eating won't fix it. You know the old saying: "If hunger isn't the problem, eating won't fix it." The only thing you've done when you eat a quart of ice cream because you're depressed is depress yourself further and make yourself feel like shit. You're basically saying that you're not worth losing weight, gaining health, gaining sexiness and beauty. Oh, yes you are! Sure, you might be awfully pretty, even though obese. But think how much more stunning you'll be at normal weight, most of all to yourself.
So the enablers have to stop doing that, and those who are playing a game of dieting have to stop allowing the enablers to keep them obese. If you truly can't lose--which means you really don't want to--join a fat acceptance group, stay fat, die young or live with blindness as your diabetes progresses.
I know this has been a rant, and rants usually aren't helpful. But I hope this one has added something to the dialogue. I know that it's changing my way of looking at this. I don't think I've ever enabled anyone, because I don't have the temperment, and don't interact with any of the gamers, just read their blogs. But it's a good warning sign to be aware of that all the time.
God reading this reminds me of myself. I wasn't doing it intentionally but it seems like I've been on this endless cycle of failure and as great as the support is that I'm getting, the acceptance of my failure isn't motivating at all. I'm really struggling right now and I thought by continuing to post about my struggles that I was getting one step closer each day to overcoming them but maybe I'm just getting use to the acceptance and forgiveness that is given to me instead of getting the kick in the ass I really need. Thanks for giving me something to think about.
ReplyDeleteleft a comment on your last post
ReplyDeletestressed out this morning, hope it makes sense, going to go drown in the shower..... ;-)
It's making me ask myself if I've ever been an enabler. Hum... I want to say that I haven't because I really don't have a lot of patience in life, period. So when someone looks like he/she doesn't put in any effort, I just get sick of it. And this applies to anything. I just think, "You don't want to do this; I'm wasting my time and energy."
ReplyDeleteI like the comparison with the parasitic living system. The enabler gets some type of pleasure from enabling just as much as the receiver gets his/her own pleasure from the pats in the back.
It is often a difficult relationship to recognize (unless one is a third party looking from the outside), but it is deadly.
This is mos def something to chew on.
Great post and one some people I know of need to read. It is possible to enable someone to death. Some people don't realize what real support is.
ReplyDeleteI will say that I think I used to be one of these people that sought enablement (is that a word?) in "real life." I didn't do it purposefully, but I would many times seek "forgiveness" or excuse my "bad behavior" with whatever triggered me in the first place. I don't think I ever took it to the degree that the blogger in question has, but the behavior was there.
ReplyDeleteThe latest manifestation of this, and hopefully the last, was my miscarriage in late 2009.
There were a few variables that I believe shocked me out of this behavior, finding Allan's blog with it's tough love stance being one of them. But I must say it is a total 180, and I wouldn't know how to lead someone else off the path of seeking forgiveness. It truly seems to happen a lot of times by a life-changing event, which is sad.
Sorry to ramble. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents from a former parasite. ;)
Christina, I think I looked for enabling from other smokers when I smoked--anything not to have to quit, and to cover up my failures when I tried and didn't make it. I think we're all guilty of it about something in our lives at one time or another. I've been reading about your struggle. It's very rough for you right now. Sometimes we need sympathy. But yes, once we recognize that we might be playing into the hands of enablers to assuage our refusal to get better, it's never the same again. You will never be able to accept the enabling again because you'll know the truth deep down inside that it's hurting you, not helping. I'm rooting for you, btw. I can hear in your words that you're ready to do it.
ReplyDeleteTwix, I'll be answering you on the last post. It was quite a comment! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteElle, your "impatience" has probably saved a lot of people, although I'm sure others have just been happy for you to go away so that they can find their enablers elsewhere. Thanks for your support and thoughtful response to my post. See? I need support, too, but if I start looking for enabling in order to keep saying the same thing and boring you, please kick me in the ass. I'm counting on you. :~) BTW--I want to see a blog out of you. I'm waiting . . .
ReplyDeleteOh, yes, Karen. I completely agree. You really can enable someone to death. That's a good point, and one that I didn't think of, even though it's logical. One of the sad things to include with that, aside from a good person's going down, is that the enablers will never recognize their part in it. They'll probably do it again to someone else.
ReplyDeleteI'm very sorry about the loss of your pregnancy. My sister had two miscarriages and I saw her terrible pain. Yes, it's a life-changing event, and I'm glad you seem to have come through the darkness, even though the wound will only scar over, not disappear.
ReplyDeleteI agree that an event like that can really change your outlook about everything, including enabling. (I think if "enablement" isn't a word, it should be. lol) I like when you say you wouldn't be able to do it to someone else now. Insight can really make everything different.
Tell me, did you forgive yourself? I think it's important that you do that. You're out of the symbiotic relationship now, and would recognize if you were doing it again. I think that merits forgiveness by the one person who counts--yourself.
I think I have forgiven myself...both for the feeling like a "broken" woman because of the MC, and for being the "brat" that wanted attention and an excuse forgiven. I spent plenty of time wallowing in it last year until my dear husband had a talk to me, and I realized that beating myself up was also beating up those around me.
ReplyDeleteI guess I never formally recognized it as forgiveness, but now that you mention it, I believe I have - finally. :)
FF my husband was an enabler for me for a while but you know, he eventually realized what he was doing and did his best to talk me out of binges. When I asked for things, he would buy small amounts so that I couldn't do so much damage and he made up for the enabling but completely supporting my choice to have surgery and stick to the plan before and after. He has changed completely so I do believe that some people are aware that what they are doing is harming the person they love but I believe that if the love is strong, they can change their behavior of offer the person what he or she needs instead of what they are asking for. My husband is now my biggest cheer leader. Just lately, though he has been trying to get my to lighten up on the plan. I see his point because I'm at a normal weight but I need to get to where *I* want to be and so he doesn't push me to maintain. He wants me to be really happy.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, you wrote ". . . realized that beating myself up was also beating up those around me." Thanks for that. I think we all need to keep that in mind, and I'm sure I do. It's something I forget, though, all the time. It's a good thing to remind ourselves of.
ReplyDeleteKaren, that's a loving post for you and your husband. When you blog about him, I can feel the deep emotion. I want you to stay that way very badly, because there are so few of us long-time couples I'd like to see you for a very long time around here. I like what you say about his protecting you from losing too much. We talked about how I'll do my best to catch you if you start to fall, and it's heart-warming to see that he'll keep doing it in the future. You have people around you who want you to be happy with your weight.
He's letting you decide things about your own body. How rare it is for a spouse to do that!