There. I said it. Food addiction doesn't exist in the real meaning of the word "addiction." However, if by addiction you mean behavioral addiction--a series of obsessions which lead to the compulsion to eat--then I agree it does. Confusing? Let's look at the word more closely.
I will be addressing weight reduction through diet, not surgery. I believe there are very real differences between the two such that they can't be addressed here, and I'm not educated in bariatric surgery, only what I'm going to write about today.
Traditionally, "addiction" means a physical dependence on something, most likely a drug such as opiates (morphine, methadone, heroin, codiene, etc.); nicotine; alcohol, etc. These are drugs which cross the blood-brain barrier and have a direct action on the brain. For instance, our brains secrete naturally-occurring painkillers and pleasure-giving substances called endorphins. They fit into places in the brain precisely, like a key is meant to fit into a specific lock. There are some drugs, however, which fit even better than endorphins, and the opiates are one of them. When introduced to the brain, they will sort of push the endorphins out of their home and take their place. Their key fits the lock better than the brain's own key does.
Opiates come in various strengths, with Dilaudid one of the strongest man-made drugs, and heroin one of the strongest "natural" opiates. (Actually, heroin doesn't exist in nature. It's created from morphine, but it isn't a completely lab-based drug such as Dilaudid is.) These drugs cause physical addiction, substance tolerance and behavioral (psychological) addiction. Withdrawal from them has consistent symptoms in everyone who does, including sometimes great physical pain and/or other mild-to-severe physical problems. Sometimes medications are given over a limited period of time to mitigate these difficult to tolerate symptoms. The goal is to never use the addictive substance again for the rest of the patient's natural life. Tolerance to certain drugs, such as nicotine, is never lost.
The second meaning of the word addiction is a tolerance which is built up over time. This is commonly called substance dependence. Many medical researchers argue that this is not true addiction, for a variety of reasons. It refers to a person's unwillingness to withdraw from the drug and while a physical tolerance is built up, that tolerance is lost when the drug is discontinued. This class of drugs includes cocaine, marijuana, hallucinogens such as LSD, mushrooms, and others. They are so pleasurable that the user finds it difficult to give them up. While there are some physical symptoms across the board on withdrawal, they aren't usually severe and can vary from person to person. The biggest symptoms are psychological, and they can be quite severe. Because of the strong psychological component, treatment must address mental problems and use therapy as part of the treatment, although it's often for a short duration, depending on the school of thought.
The user can't use the drug again or tolerance will again be built up and the behavioral components re-established almost immediately.
All of the drugs which cause physical addiction also cause substance tolerance. It's complicated, and I can't get into it here, but there are academically-vetted sources of information available (not Yahoo or Wikipedia) on the web. Try the Mayo Clinic, National Institutes of Health/Mental Health, etc.
Finally, there is "behavioral addiction." This is where the layperson's use of the term food addict comes in. Tolerance is not built. A food addict doesn't need increased amounts of food weekly or every two weeks in order to get the same high. As they age and get less physically active due to the limiting effects of obesity itself, they will gain weight. However, that is not usually due to greatly increased tolerance. Users don't have across-the-board symptoms on reduction of food intake, although hunger is always a component of it, and is decidedly unpleasant. However, reduced calories do not cause physical pain, nor muscle spasms, heavy mucous production, inability to sleep, terrifying dreams, or death. (Withdrawal from some drugs, such as the barbiturates, is life-threatening and is often done in a hospital.) There is no physical dependence.
Constant thoughts and dreams of food occur nearly 100% of the time. The person will often be restless, weep, and withdrawal can cause a true depression in a person who is already at risk. Fatigue and weakness may occur, but usually not if calories are kept at a moderate level such as 1100 or above, which prevents muscle deterioration and stripping of muscle tissue by the body to use as calories. Calorie reduction below 1000 over a significant period of time can do that. What is significant? At least a month, but the semi-starvation diets of 500 calories a day are always done under medical supervision and may last longer.
Because food addiction is obsessional and compulsive, and nearly always contains a component of Binge Eating Disorder (BED), the person will often find it difficult to maintain a diet unless cognitive therapy or other specialized therapy addresses the behavior. Some obese individuals have flat-out OCD, but the majority do not.
Summing up this part, we see three types of addiction. Physical, which also has substance dependence and behavioral components; substance dependence, which also has behavioral aspects; and behavior addiction, which has neither of the other two. That's why I say that food addiction doesn't exist, since the primary meaning of the term (medically) and tightest definition, oldest definition, and most accurate definition of the word addiction doesn't apply to food.
The reason why I bring this up today is because I read a blog yesterday where the blogger was insisting that the reason why s/he had a more difficult time losing weight than other people was because s/he was a food addict. It irritates me when someone cops a plea like that to excuse his/her unwillingness to dedicate him/herself to getting healthy by losing weight. No one is commited to getting unhealthy, or if already in bad health, to getting worse. Even suicidal people aren't addicted to it, if you want to say the food addiction is someone's way of commiting slow suicide. There are real addicts fighting even as we speak, who are dedicating today to suffering through severe physical side effects in order to get well. To say that losing weight is akin to their struggles disrepects their hard work and suffering. It also disrespects those who are struggling mightly to lose weight without pleas for extra sympathy due to their addiction problem. Yes, food addiction does exist, but again--only in the layman's definition of addiction, or when talking about the very real problem of behavioral addiction.
I'd like to see the term food addiction thrown out and something more accurate put in its place. Just the psych term behavioral addiction? Food dependence? Eating disorder? (My favorite, and one which I believe in completely.) Food mental illness? There are many things we could think up for this, sex addiction, computer addiction, and other such "addictions" which wouldn't cloud the medical definition of addiction.
I didn't write this to hurt anyone's feelings or to mock anyone. I wrote it to praise those who don't excuse their behavior because of their addiction. I wrote it to stop watering down the definitions of addict and addiction. Those words should be reserved for their traditional meanings. I admire the English language, too. But not as much as I admire the people in the Challenge, those who've successfully gone through and live with bariatric surgery, people who are devoted to getting healthy and having some control over their lives of an important aspect in it, and more.
I know I'll piss some people off, but I want them to do their own research and think a little about what they're saying and why they're saying it. I'll say it again: Food addiction doesn't exist, and yes food addiction does, but not in those words. Let's agree to disagree if you don't find that scientifically accurate, because after my research, I'm not about to change my mind.
I think people use food to self-medicate and that is why people assume that it is a real addiction like drug addiction. The driving force behind addiction and overeating may be the same but I agree that food addiction is a misnomer.
ReplyDeleteI never really thought about the semantics behind this before now, but I must say that I totally agree with you. And since I believe I know the blog in question that you speak of, I totally agree when it comes to how this term can be twisted and used as a crutch.
ReplyDeleteI'll admit that I've tried to think of my relationship to food as an addiction though, just because it helps to keep my mind focused, much like Allan's cancer analogy. And also I suppose because I always thought of an ED as something reserved for people on the other end of the spectrum from obesity.
End the end though, like you say, it's all mental. There are no physical reasons why I should have a box of donuts in me and not be able to control myself from eating them. ;)
Very thoughtful post, thanks for sharing!
er, a box of donut in FRONT of me, lol! ;)
ReplyDeleteKaren, it's a good way to put it, that the driving force behind addiction and overeating are the same. I agree also that a lot of it is self-medication. I think I read somewhere that a lot of alcoholics turn out to be bipolar, which figures. Self-medication through booze, of course. In fact, one of our friends was discovered to be bipolar only once he was in AA. The alcohol had been keeping his moods "level," or as much as they could be.
ReplyDeleteI think we all have something to self-medicate in our lives, but food must be the commonest thing. We have over half the population being either overweight or obese, and about 30% of them at frankly obese. Some drugs cause profound weight gain, i.e., prednisone and other corticosteroids; some mental health/psychoactive drugs, etc. But for the vast majority of the obese it's overeating, either daily in bits of self-medication, or massive binges for major "psychotherapy."
It seems we're on the same page here.
Amanda, thanks for writing. I started this blog, if you ever read the first post, to illustrate that all of us have EDs--obese, anorexic, bulimic, bingers, et al. We're all the same, it's just that the disorder expresses/manifests itself differently in each of us. I'd like to stop the abuse of the obese in our general culture, and perhaps if people realized obesity was an ED, they might come to their senses and not see it as laziness, moral failing, and all the other awful, and UNTRUE ways they see it. However, that's secondary to my belief that obesity is an ED like anorexia. We'll never change people who don't want to change. You can stuff information into a full head, and most people's heads are too full of prejudice to fit any truth into them.
ReplyDeleteI see your analogy of food addiction's being like Allan's fat cancer, and think it's a good one. If everyone were seeing it that way, it would be cool. But you obviously know who I'm talking about, and you thus know how it's being used by most others.
I'm glad you liked this blog entry. I'm very glad, actually, and glad you posted. Anything else you want to talk about? I'll look for your blog.
Food for thought, for sure. I have to say I do agree with you. I use the phrase food addiction, on occasion. But I think I have used it inaccurately. I have always thought that eating disorder is more accurate. If the eating patterns that get a keep a person obese isn't disordered eating, I don't know what is.
ReplyDeleteBut then, do I, by using this term step on the toes of those who have slimming eating disorders? Honestly, I feel strongly that anyone who abuses their body with food, whatever the outcome is eating disordered.
I need to remember not to fall back on "food addiction". :)
I've used "food addict" myself, Ice Queen, in the past. It's easy to fall into, because a lot of people do. My beef came from someone who was using it as an excuse for why s/he had a harder time losing weight than others. It pissed me off because it was so dismissive of the struggles all obese people have. No one has it harder than others. Everyone suffers the same, although for different reasons.
ReplyDeleteThe book that started backing me up on all this, groups obesity into eating disorders. I found a new one and started it the other day that does the same thing. I think the tide is turning!
I know what you mean about "stepping on the toes" of builimics and anorexics. I feel that way being on the obesity sites, even though I was very overweight at one point. But you're not doing that. I think you're just being honest.
You given me something to blog about today. I hope you don't mind if I quote some of your comment to lead off the entry.
This post really made me think! I have used food as a tool to self-soothe I suppose, I'm trying hard to move past this and simply enjoy it as nourishment. I really try to make no excuses, I used to, lots and lots of them and was fed terms like food addiction but really food was just the easiest thing to come by when my issues started coming to a head in my very early teens. I reached out to something else to help me process emotions and escape reality it's as simple as that but now I have so many weird quirks and compulsive eating habits that are completely ingrained in my behaviour and now I'm trying to eradicate them!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post, it's really made me reflect on where so many of these maladapted behaviours started!
D, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm following your blog now--it looks like one I'll like, but I haven't read it in depth yet. I'll do that today.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think most--if not all--of us use food to comfort ourselves. It's really one of the most difficult things we have to change. My therapist believes that all eating disorders are a product of OCD. I don't agree, but I DO think that it's a component of all our EDs. You mention "compulsive eating habits that are completely ingrained"--YES! That's true of me and all of those with EDs that I know personally. Sometimes it's so finely pointed that it has to be one particular food, eaten in one particular spot, with one particular plate/utensil, etc. So I hear you loud and clear.
FF I would say your therapist has a very valid point in my own experience I have a thing with even numbers, I get into new little habits that I have to then break be it coming home and eating gherkins out of the jar or dipping carrots into cottage cheese or ritually buying weight watchers ice creams at the supermarket in the full knowledge I will sit down and eat both little tubs as soon as I get home! I feel like these little habits are so ridiculous and it's so nice to hear that someone identifies with them. thanks!
ReplyDeleteThose are funny, D, but I'm sure mine are funny to you. Maybe I should post on crazy quirks and we can all add ours. My sister had a common one when she was a kid, a little of which persists to this day. She couldn't have any of her foods touching on her plate, including any condiments. They had to have their separate sections, and if one should touch another by accident, she'd go stark, raving, nuts. It wasn't a matter of being spoiled--it was a true phobia. I don't know when or how she grew out of it, but even now she doesn't like casseroles, because everything is "touching." lol
ReplyDeleteI especially like your gherkin one. Do you like or dislike even numbers??
FF, even numbers are the go, can't stand odd numbers, it's not just a food related thing I feel really weird driving my car if the volume on the stereo is on an odd number...ocd anyone?
ReplyDeleteThere is a subset where I believe there is actual addiction in terms of behavior (the binge/cannot stop eating) after the stimulus (hyperpalatable foods) in a particular subset of people (the conditioned hypereater). After reading Kessler on this, I changed my mind about food addiction (meaning I used to be in your position, then last year switched to this position). Not all foods. Not all people. But some people with certain foods. A percentage.
ReplyDeleteI think the case studies in Kessler's book and how the brain reacts (pleasure reaction like with drugs, rat behavior like with addicts).
That's no excuse, btw. We expect addicts to get help and overcome addictions. I figure it's the same for conditioned hypereaters/palatable foods. You have to avoid cocaine, heroin, meth..and hyperpalatable foods if you're an CH.
I am one. I avoid hyperpalatable foods 95+% of the time, and this has stopped my bingeing. I would not have thought it possible...failure after failure. But the science change MY mind. :)
Gillian Riley in her books on overcoming binge eating/overeating calls it an addiction and lists teh behaviors (addictive symptoms) for SOME people (again, not all).
Again, she doesn't pat on the back and excuse it. She gives tools to get over it, just like addicts/alcoholics need to overcome. I believe that saying you're a food addcit in order to self-excuse is immature and pathetic. Saying you're a food addict (or conditioned hypereater/binge disorder sufferer) is a diagnosis and you get on with getting better with sound steps/plans/goals/assistance as needed. :)
Mir/Princess Dieter
Oh, sorry, wanted to clarify that Kessler himself doesn't call the stimulus/reaction or behavior food addiction. I derived that, inferred it, from the description of the case studies/actions/brain scans/rehab suggestions/etc.
ReplyDeleteJust in case someone isn't aware of who Princess Dieter is talking about, he's David Kessler, former head of the FDA, who wrote a book for laypeople on overeating. PD, from what you're saying, I think I'd like to read it. I keep meaning to read all these great books, and just don't get around to it. But I'd better get around to this one from your description of it.
ReplyDeleteYou see I didn't disregard the addiction part of food entirely, just that it can't be compared to heroin or nicotine addiction. I could live with bumping it, sex addiction, computer addiction, etc., up a step because of the pleasure centers in the brain. They did give me pause. But those things are all legal, and legality eliminates the huge penalties that a coke addict will pay. I'm not sure how far someone who "needs" a pizza will go to obtain one. Lose their house? Risk a serious beating? Go to prison for ten years? It's hard to say.
But yeah, I think we're going to have to mostly agree to disagree. Who knows what the future will bring, however? I've definitely changed my mind in the past.
I can see that you agree that the word "addiction" shouldn't let someone completely off the hook, or be used as a reason why someone can't diet. I was talking about a woman who had to padlock her refrigerator while she and her kids were home, and couldn't unlock it until her husband got home from work since he had the only key. She said that was because she was an addict. I don't buy it. (The situation is much more complicated than that. That's just one small example.) I wondered about the normal-weight kids, too, having to go without food because she can't help herself. It was so odd, and a sign of some psychiatric problem, imo, although I have no advanced psych training.
That's just to let you know what prompted my rant. I don't like ranting, but sometimes, you just gotta. :~)
I see you on Allan's blog all the time. I'll have to read yours.
Oh, D, I'm not laughing at you, but the way you say, "OCD, anyone?" cracked me up! Yeah, I guess there's a bit of that, eh? My father had to count all the blocks on a tile floor or ceiling if he was in a room that had them. He couldn't leave unless he'd done it to the whole room. I think there's a good case for OCD there, too.
ReplyDeleteIt might be commoner than people think.