Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cancer and obesity, plus my boring visit to the doc.

*Sigh* It didn't go so well at the doctor's, but it wasn't awful. I didn't realize that I'd lost so much weight since my last visit (in clothes/shoes). I was 103! two months ago, and 97 yesterday--six pounds in two months. I'm not complaining, mind you, but he wasn't happy. He asked me if I was still seeing my mental health people and I said yes. He replied, "That's good, except that they don't seem to be doing much for you." I told him not to blame them too much; that while my therapist was clueless, the psychiatrist was trying. I was the one at fault. He didn't say anything. He wanted to do a variety of blood work since I've been anemic for around two years
.
My blood tests showed that my electrolytes, while low, were still within normal limits, so I didn't have to go back on potassium. However, my continual anemia was much worse. He says that, plus excessive diarrhea, are probably the cause of my fatigue. He also thinks the malabsorption is responsible for some of my weight loss, which is logical. So I'm back on iron tablets for now (other stuff if it gets even worse again) and a med for intestinal trouble. He also thinks that one of the meds I take for my nausea from the chronic migraines could be causing the GI distress, so I had to go off that cold turkey. I sure hope something helps. I was nauseated all day without it, and had to dose myself with a migraine abortifacient twice today. Not pleasant--a painful day.

Otherwise, everything is fine. LOL. I know that all that was too much information, and not the most elevating of topics to boot (diarrhea), but if you want to know what poor nutrition will bring you, just look at my diet. I'll let Ice Queen, Karen, and Twix tell you about my hair, skin, and nails. What a mess.

Now for serious stuff.

An area I wanted to know more about was the constant mention of the relationship between obesity and cancer. I've known about the elevated risk in women for breast cancer for years, but was surprised at the constant reference to cancer as a generic disease as it relates to obesity in men and women. This is from Weight in America: etc.

"Overweight increases the risk of developing several types of cancer, including cancers of the colon, esophagus, gallbladder, kidney, liver, and prostate, as well as uterine. . . and postmenopausal breast cancer. Excessive weight gain during adult life increases the risk for several of these cancers.

. . .a gain of more than twenty pounds from age eighteen to midlife doubles a woman's risk of breast cancer, and even more modest weight gains are associated with increased risk. . . The IARC also asserted that obesity increases the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women by as much as 40%."

Other relative, but significant risks between obesity and cancer showed up in colorectal cancer among premenopausal women and all men; pancreatic cancer, especially those who had a tendency to gain abdominal weight, and AML (acute myelogenous leukemia). It's completely unknown how obesity would increase any risk, recurrence or mortality. Perhaps it's eating habits, such as a high-fat, high calorie, diet, or physical inactivity, that actually increase it. Thus one of the healthier obese people we've talked about, who eat a highly nutritious diet and are very active, wouldn't have the risk levels as the unhealthier ones.

One recent finding, off the subject, which has been intriguing me is the relationship between obesity and lack of sleep. It's felt that the hormone leptin, which regulates appetite, is reduced when there's a lack of sleep. Here are the stats: People who got less than four hours of sleep a night were 73% more likely to be obese. "People who averaged five hours of sleep had 50% greater risk, and those who got six hours had 23% greater risk of obesity." It doesn't hurt to get more sleep, and if there's the remote possibility that it can help dieters and maintainers to keep losing or maintaining, I think it's worth trying for. We all know the important role that sleep plays in memory, clarity of thought, alertness, and concentration. Isn't that enough to force us to go to bed earlier? (Apparently not. I never get enough sleep and my brain and memory can be quite fuzzy as a result.)

There's more, but I think you get the drift. Certainly some kinds of breast cancer are related to increased female hormones, which are elevated in obese women. But it doesn't say if the breast cancer they're talking about is estrogen/progesterone dependent or negative. Just as certainly, other environmental factors and genetic ones are at least as responsible for developing breast cancer as far as they know now. Since there are several different types of breast cancer, we can't make any leap until more information is gathered. However, it's a frightening and potentially lethal disease which we should try to avoid if at all possible. While lung cancer still beats breast cancer in mortality rates among women, that's primarily because lung cancer is deadlier at close to a 100% mortality rate, whereas breast cancer is around 50/50.

Let's be careful to recognize that these are statistical relationships only. No one is saying that obesity causes pancreatic cancer. However, the stats are highly correlated with each other, thus very much deserving of further inquiry.

Okay. I'm starting to get yet another migraine at this time of night--uncommon for me--so I'll sign off and just read. Eat nutritiously, sleep right, stick to your diet plans, and I'll see you tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. The phrase "Doctor, heal thyself" comes to mind. Any true healing is going to come from within. I think you have all the information you need. Just as the obese must get a handle on the situation and take steps that they know are appropriate, the bulemic must do the same, and now you are the foundation of your recovery. I know your condition has deep roots. I also know you are a strong person - I can read it through all of what you write. I am still praying for you by name. I want you to be free of this bondage and when it doesn't serve you anymore you will be. My greatest fear is that I write something that sets you off so always know that what I say is said in love. I want what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. downsizers, I know that what you say is coming from a caring, loving, Christian, place. You words tell me so. I will always keep that in mind no matter what you say, so don't think you're going to trigger me. I know that anorexics (different from bulimia) can indeed be triggered, but that's not the fault of something or someone else. That's a flaw within us that makes us see things that way.

    Thank you for saying I'm a strong person. I don't think so, at least not most of the time. I'm not as strong as you, for example. But that will come, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FF, My thoughts are with you today. I hate having to change up my meds and I know how frustrating it can be. I'm really hoping that you can get used to being a slightly higher weight than you are. I worry about you but I know that you need to be in control right now. Hang in there and let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Hugs.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Karen, for your sympathy and understanding regarding the control issues. I wouldn't have guessed it on my own, but after I was diagnosed, I read everything I could get my hands on about it. It resonated with me.

    Please don't worry about me. I'm worried about you! Thank you for your generous offer of help. I might have to cash that in someday. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came straight home from step aerobics to read your reply. As always, you are so perceptive in your understanding of what others comment to you. I was wondering if you have done any reading about people who have overcome anorexia. Do they have anything in common? It's like for my obesity, I look for people who have truly overcome it and try to learn their method - what epiphanies they experienced along the way. They have done it and are so willing to share what made the final difference in beating it. I don't know how difficult it would be to find a recovered anorexic but I do think it would be worth the effort. Big hugs - Myra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, downsizers, there are many, and many of them have written books on their journey. I'm not talking about medical kinds of stuff--that really doesn't interest me. These are books by sufferers. I bought one recently called "Wasted," which is the number one rated book of all by recovering/recovered anorexics. So yes, I have some reading to do.

    Smart suggestion, though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the old advice about a moderate and prudent life is probably still the highest wisdom for health. Not too little or too much food. Not to little or too much exertion. Not to little or too much rest. Not too many supplement, not too little water. Etc.

    I suspect there are multiple reasons why obesity and cancer are seen as correlated. When eating "bad" foods--be it sugar, HFCS, a lot of refined or fake foods--it's shown this does increase inflammatory markers. Cancer feeds on inflammation.

    There is also malnutrition. Someone eating unbalanced, even if too much, may be missing key nutrients that have protective qualities.

    In the case of actual food toxins/additives--foods with hormones, pesticides, etc. It may add up in the body and cause issues.

    And then there is the whole complex system of homeostasis that is thrown off by pressuring the liver with fat (fatty liver being common in the obese) and not keeping the circulation (blood and lymph) optimal with movement.

    There may be a viral component. There definitely are genetic variants that make some more susceptible. There may be a point where the metabolic changes in obesity are a trigger to activate something in the DNA.

    I think it's just a multitude of things that may snowball in the overtaxed, out of whack bodies of the obese.

    While still morbidly obese, I began to change how I ate (though quantities of calories were still out of whack) in order to make my diet more protective. I joined an organic coop, focused on tripling produce intake and cutting sugar and HFCS. I began Pilates. It did help with glucose some. And I believe all those colorful fruits and veggies and better quality dairy and meats would be more nourishing than junk food, right? :)

    Until I could control calories, I tried to control quality of food, rest, and exercise. You do what you can when you're ready to....

    But obesity is not a normal state. It makes sense that there are...consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pretty well agree, PD. I'm a member of a natural foods coop here, and have been for about 30 years. Hard to believe until I wrote it down! Because I was a vegetarian for around 35-ish years, I used to go often. I'd say I was only there three or four times in the past year, though. That's terrible. And the food they make onsite is excellent, too. I should really start going again. There's so much organic stuff, including poultry and fish, you can't believe it.

    That theory about cancer and inflammation is quite intriguing. I've read a little about it, but not in depth. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete