I was wandering around some of my favorite sites, and came across the Buddhist meditation on food:
This food I take
not for play,
not for fattening,
not for beautifying,
not for intoxication.
But only for the
continuation and
nourishment of
this body.
For keeping it unharmed,
for helping it to
lead a pure life.
Thinking, I shall
destroy hunger.
Thus will I be free
from bodily troubles
and live at ease.
It's beautiful, but you might be surprised to learn that I found it on a site for the EDs anorexia and bulimia. Yes, one of those infamous "pro-ana" sites you hear about. Now, I've been to them, but don't always like them. This one isn't what most people think it is, however. It's a support group for people struggling with these diseases. I can go two ways on it. It's mostly populated by teen girls, followed by young women in their early to mid-20's. Then there are boys of 16-18, and a very few young men.
They're all so desperate, and lonely. They talk of their families calling them "slimfast girl," "fatty-kins;" they speak of bullying by fellow students and older siblings (who are invariably prettier and thinner), and mockery by mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and other mostly female members of their families, who often have EDs themselves.
They need support, and they get it from each other. However, I get nervous about kids--and most are kids--in that mindset inspiring others to do the same. On another such site, I was in a chat with an older anorexic, and we were talking about recovery. We discussed threats by docs of involuntary hospitalization unless we'd eat or get our BMI's up to 17, 18, or so. A girl--I could tell she was very young--jumped on us like glue, begging us to tell her our "secret" of how to be so thin. She said she weighed something like 135 and would kill herself unless she got to 100. I told her she was a normal weight for her height (which was something like 5'3") and she should keep her weight normal, eat fresh vegetables, yadda-yadda, the whole nine yards. She became desperate--"Please, PLEASE, tell me what you do to lose weight. I need to know!" Finally, I just left the chat room after telling her the same thing several times. I couldn't take it anymore.
After I left, I wondered what happened. Did some young anorexic come in and tell her how to vomit efficiently? Did she give her the 2-4-8-2, or 2-4-6-8, or on-and-on diet? (Going from 200, to 400, to 800, and back to 200 calories a day.) Did they give her support to stay healthy and get even healthier, or did they "support" her in her dream of getting to 100 pounds?
That's what I mean about being of two minds about these places. You must let them come to their own decisions for them to accept who and what they are. However, they're still mostly children, and this can turn into eating-disordered children talking to other ED kids and getting into a world of trouble.
Just as I don't believe talking to obese people makes you obese, I don't think that a normal girl can be talked into anorexia. But a girl can learn how to fake out their doctor's office during weigh-ins; how to vomit easily; how to hide evidence of not eating from her parents (who usually aren't looking for it anyway), etc. So if they're on the path to anorexia or bulimia, they can be taught how to get there sooner and more efficiently.
I wish we were all like the Buddhist meditation, unattached to food. I wish we could all think of food as nourishment, and while it's a pleasure to nourish us, it's nothing more than that, like the pleasure of seeing a daffodil in spring. You recognize it and enjoy it, but you don't live for it. There are more important things to live for.
I haven't read my blogs today--it was a crazy one. I'll get to them by tomorrow, by hook or by crook.
I don't really do support groups for others with my disorder. There is always someone who is worse off than the rest who stays in the limelight so to speak with dramatic suicidal threats. I can't handle the pressure of being placed in a situation where I have to talk someone out of suicide. It drains me and makes me crazy myself. I prefer to go it alone of with the support of family and friends. They may not understand exactly what I'm going through but they CARE and that is what I need.
ReplyDeleteI'm not surprised where you found it. It's very universal.
ReplyDeleteInvoluntary hospitalization is scary. And it doesn't always solve the real issue at hand, why you're out of control. They can break things, but when you're out it can be rebuilt differently. Unfortunately not everyone wants help and involuntary happens. My experiences are that eating disordered can be isolating.
I didn't know anyone went looking for a way to be anna. You just stop. So I guess that news surprises me. And the social aspect isn't all that difficult. Hiding that your not eating or hiding that you are overeating isn't to hard to accomplish around others. Just like it's easy to hide puking everything up. Isolating right? Either way a lot of inner turmoil.
Wow. So scary to think that someone can hate themselves physically so much at such a young age. I can't imagine the internal pain...when they should be living it up and having the time of their lives. Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you I wish we could all just see food as nourishment for our bodies and not a cure all for everything going wrong or right in our lives. I guess thats starts when we are children and every disappointment and celebration is rewarded with food. What I would give to be able to view food as some other people do and just eat when I'm truly hungry.
ReplyDeleteOh, Christina, that would be great. Imagine the freedom that comes with it. I get to see it every day in my husband, who hasn't even a shred of eating disorder about him. He was skinny for decades and is normal weight now. I don't want him to get fat because he wouldn't have Clue One on how to lose weight. The concept is foreign to him.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you: it would be beautiful.
Karen, I couldn't do support groups with my depression for the same reasons as you. But somehow, online, just seeing people going through the same problems as I do with food makes me feel as though I'm not such a freak--others are eating-disordered, too. Does that make sense?
ReplyDeleteTwix, that's very insightful. Thanks, I learned something from your post. I hate that feeling of isolation sometimes. Unlike Karen, I only have one person for support in 3-D life. I hate to burden him with my crap, you know?
ReplyDeleteYes, Drazil. They're missing a time which really should be one of joy and love. So many young women, losing their youth to this strange illness of food and eating problems. Obese or emaciated, we all are giving up part of our lives to it. You're right--it's so sad.
ReplyDelete