I don't know how many of you still have links to my blog. I wouldn't blame you if you've dumped me, but I'm going to try to briefly catch you up on what's been going on.
I believe I told you that they were quite suspicious that I had colon cancer. Finally they diagnosed me as having ulcerative colitis (UC), a chronic, serious, irritable bowel disease (IBD). It has been life-changing. It's not caused by stress; however, it's made worse by stress. I think that's why it started to flare up before the summer break, when I was having so much trouble at work. I haven't needed any more transfusions lately, but they'll do at least one if my severely bad anemia doesn't improve by August 15.
They tested for everything. Celiac disease; gluten intolerance; a whole host of food allergies, parasites and bacterial infections, and so on. All were negative. They guessed it was Crohn's Disease before the biopsies came back. I don't know which would be worse to have. It's kind of crazy to try to compare illnesses, don't you think?
They want me to gain 10 to 20 pounds. I've tried. There's no way to tell if my gain of nearly 10 pounds is fat or water. My edema is horrible. In the middle of my right leg, I sprung a leak, so to speak, and water runs down my leg constantly, soaking my shoe. I was protein deficient, so I've had to push it, and have been successful with that. But it might be weeks before the swelling goes down.
The beginning of fall semester is close at hand, and it seems as though unless there's a miracle, I won't be able to make it. I'm a nervous wreck. We need the money badly, and the health insurance even more. Under federal law, we're allowed to pay for health insurance ourselves for 18 months. That will pretty well destroy what little savings we have. Oh, well. This has happened twice before during our marriage, which is why it seems as though we'll never be able to retire. We'll just have to get over it.
Then I got excruciating pain in my left groin and where my femur joins my hip socket. This started over a week ago. Some days it was better, so I figured I'd strained or pulled a muscle somehow. As it turns out, it's arthritis. I've always had a little osteoarthritis there, but it never was debilitating, and NEVER caused this kind of pain. I can barely walk. So my health has kind of fucked up my whole summer. My great and good spouse has driven me all over god's creation to doctors and tests, plus cooked for me and otherwise taken so much care of me. He's a saint, I think.
I've been, therefore, in lots of pain. I put myself on a high protein, high calorie, low fiber, low residue diet. I figured that if I could "rest" my bowel, it would have some time to heal and throw me into a remission. When I saw the dietician, she said I'd developed a terrific eating plan, and only gave me a few tips to add. She also said I don't need to see her again unless some problem comes up. It was nice to be supported and listened to.
I think that's pretty much it on the health front.
I'm so disappointed that Allan no longer blogs. I very much looked forward to reading his blog at least until the end of Phase Six. He inspired me, and so many others. I hope that he changes his mind at some point. I miss him terribly.
I've been so sick that I haven't even been able to keep up with your blogs, but started today. It'll take a while, that's for sure, but will be worth it.
I'm going to give it my best to write daily or at least every other day. Oh! I cut my hair, or rather Chick cut it. It's only to my shoulders. I'd had it to my waist, then to mid-back, then bra strap length, and now as short as I'll take it. I look awful with short hair.
Okay. I just wanted to let you know I'm back; what's been happening with my health, etc. I'm very happy about reading you guys again! I hope to find out that you're doing well and are happy. xo
I have thought about you often. I do usually stop following people if they don't post at least every week but was always hopeful that you would begin blogging again. I am so glad to hear from you. These health issues are troubling but it's good to hear you are seemingly eating better now so we will hope and pray that your body adjusts to your new diet and gets itself straightened around so that you will be able to resume your career and other activities. Welcome back to the blogoshpere. I am sure all your followers will be glad to have you back as well.
ReplyDeleteFF, Look for a blog called So Fat For Now and you will find our old friend. He is around and will be happy to hear from you. His old glad was getting too many google hits because of "gastric". I'm sorry to hear you have been so ill. I hope you will be better soon. If there is anything I can do, let me know. Hang in there. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteYou're ALIVE!!!! HOORAY!!!!! :D Welcome back!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so happy you posted. Really. I do worry about you, even if I took a blogging break due to a family tragedy. I pray you will be able to follow your new plan and heal up terrifically. Please, please, eat well and take care of yourself. I had a pal with ulcerative colitis, and I know it's HELLISH. God bless, sweetie.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are the BEST! I'm happy, happy, happy, that you're still around. If you knew how often I thought of you and our mutual struggle . . .. Well, let's just rejoin in camaraderie.
ReplyDeletedownsizers, I' glad you kept me on your follow list. Yes, it's true that the health issues are troubling, but I have every hope that they're going to get better relatively soon. You and the others have all been through bad times and came out on the other side--so will I.
KBO, thanks greatly for the tip on where to find our friend! When I got back and saw his last post was in June, it was very sad. I've saved your blog for last, because you often post more than once a day. It's good to be catching up. There's always something going on in your life.
Hey, Twix! It was good to see that you're posting again. Thanks muchly for the photos. You look nothing whatsoever like I pictured you (isn't that always the case?). I imagined you as a very short blonde with short, curly hair. lol Guess I was a little off, eh? Now I have a face to put with your writing. At least, I'm hoping I'm not confusing you with someone else. I'd better check.
PD, as always, you're a live wire. It's sad to hear that you've had a family tragedy. The word "tragedy" is heavy-duty. I'm sorry for your pain, but with your strength of spirit, I'm sure you'll get through this. Some people get more than their fair share of troubles, it seems. But you've been blessed with all the friends and loved ones YOU took the time to meet and grow and relationship with. Take care of yourself.
Finally, thank all of you again for your healing thoughts.